1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 3500-whats it worth?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Don't really want to part with the old girl, but all this talk about how much older trucks are selling for has piqued my interest. I checked NADA and it says $9000 and up. But none of those sites ever reflect true market value. KBB is all over the place, as is Edmunds. I rarely see trucks like mine around here for sale, so not much to compare it to.

If I keep this truck I want to throw some money at it, it's getting rough around the edges, and I've had some issues with the tranny that I think are resolved. It's depressing to think how much it's going to cost to do the body and paint to make it look new again. And it's getting up there in miles, should last a lot longer but it is getting to the nickel and dime age. Going to need to do exhaust again, balljoints can't last forever can they? They haven't been done yet with 157k on it.

The one and only thing I don't like about the truck I have is the extended cab with no third door. I really wanted a crew cab, but I couldn't find one back in 01 when I bought this. So, I just found a 99 that is virtually identical to mine, only difference is it's a crew cab, 2 years newer and only 82k miles on it. So my plow and sander setup would fit perfectly, or if I sold my truck with the plow, I'd have to buy a new 810 for it. Would depend what they'd give me for the plow I guess. I'd rather keep my old 810, it works as good as a brand new one.

Only downfall I can see is it would only make plowing driveways a little bit harder. Hard enough now with the extended cab. I don';t know how much longer the 4 door is, but it looks a lot longer. And I'd have a payment again, for almost the same truck.

I'd like to hear any input, just to see what you guys think. I was feeling like I'd be lucky to get 5k for my truck, but I always tend to lowball myself. I traded a lifted 81 with a plow for mine, they gave me $2500 and the next day had it advertised for $5995.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Any pictures of your truck?

3. Detroitdan

I tried twice to load a couple, but it didn't work. I only have a couple crappy pics of when I was plowing at night. I'll try it again to see if it works, but not much of a pic. I'll have to take some new pics tomorrow in the daylight.

It says I can't because I've already loaded them once in the test forum. And I can't cut and paste them from there to here.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

There is a 95-96 reg cab 3500 Chevy dually here with a 454, 124k miles, auto, 4x4, and a nice body with a Fisher 8 foot HD plow for 4800 bucks. But it is really dependent on your market. I bet though that you could get between 8 and 10 for it. But I could be wrong. If you cant get the pics to work, email them to me tom@sydenstrickerlawns.com and I can get them loaded up for you

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

6. Detroitdan

here's some pics of the 99 I like-it's virtually identical to the one I already have, but mine is an extended cab with stainless simulators and a few scrapes and dings. They're asking $13995 for it, this place is pretty high priced, so I'd hope they would have some room to move on the price.

99-3500-1.jpg

99-3500-2.jpg

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Truck looks nice but I would hate doing driveways with something that big. My aunt and uncle have a cc/lb dually 2wd with the 454 for thier buisness and I've driven it a little and can't imagine doing driveways at night with a truck that size.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Truck prices are high here in my neck of the woods as they're a very hot commodity..your '97 would be $10-$12000 easy around here..and the '99 your lookin' at would be at least $17000! A guy here just bought a '97 K1500 ex cab 4X4 with 115,000 mi and had to pay $9,500 to get it. Not cheap...

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Holy cow, I paid a tad over $6k for my 98 with 128k.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, that shows how the truck market is around here..you don't get any deals as the private sellers and the dealer know that if you don't buy it, someone else will.:realmad:

11. Detroitdan

Here's a couple qucik shots I took of my truck just now, its dirty and raining, but you get the idea. Pretty sharp looking truck if you don't look too close.

hike&truck 008.jpg

hike&truck 007.jpg

12. Detroitdan

So, I went and looked at the 99 yesterday. Didn't get to drive it, had the boy with me and he was sleeping in the carseat. But Icrawled around under it and it looks really nice. It had a pretty poor re-paint at some point, but looks okay from twenty feet. Nice rims and 6 new tires, (that's about a grand that I need to spend on my old truck before plowing season). No rust or damage, interior is mint, very clean underneath except for a little oil pushing out the front of the motor somewhere.
    I am seriously considering this truck now. I love my truck except for the ext cab with no doors, and the old and beat up appearance, nagging problems due to it's age. So a nearly identical truck with low (85k) miles and the 4 doors I always wanted seems ideal. Another plus is I am familiar with the 6.5 now, and most importantly my plow and sander will bolt right on with no added expense or hassle. A lot of work to strip down my truck and outfit the new one though. Not looking forward to that.
    The big minus is like Mark pointed out, it is awful long to be plowing residential. My ext cab is a little too big sometimes, and this truck is somewhat bigger. I don't do a ton of plowing, and I can pick and choose what I want to take on, but there's no getting around it, the truck is enormous. If I were doing a whole lot of driveways I'd get a regular cab just for plowing, but since it's my daily driver it has to compromise.
    Great for pulling the camper and lugging the kids around. And it should last several years. What I'm thinking is, instead of trading my truck in, I'd just buy the new one, park them together and transfer all my equipment and gear and junk, then put the old one on ebay, get what Ican for it. Then take that money and pay down the loan on the new one. Anybody got any ideas on how to beat them up on the price? They are asking $13995, they are known for being pricy, but I don't know if they haggle since I've never bought from them. What I'd like to do is drive the truck, then throw a number at them and stick to it. I hate dickering back and forth. Ideally I'd like to get it for ten, but realistically I'd be happy if I could get it for twelve. Anybody know any formula for how much you can usually bargain? I think 40% is probably too much to hope for. But the guy already admitted to me they want to sell it because it is the less desireable 6.5, because everyone wants a Duramax.
    So what do you think?

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Tell him you will help him out, and take that 6.5 off his hands for 11K. They will probally drop right to 13K. Beat him down to 12K and your done. wesport
    Oh dont offer squat till you road test the truck. Transfer case in all gears. Get er on the highway up to speed, and test the brakes as well.
    Then come back and make your offer if all is good.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Dan, look at your post count. (999)

15. Detroitdan

Woo Hoo! What do I win? I actually just happened to notice it a few minutes ago on the 1000th post. Don't know how I noticed, I almost never look at that.

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Myself, i'd keep on looking. Spending 4-5k on a door seems alittle much. Besides what about the mechanicial of the other 6.5l. When was the last time the injector pump was changed?? When upgrading Always move up a bodystyle.

Have you looked at any auctions in your area?? How about some repo's??
    With the economy of today there are lots of deals out there!!! Keep in mind that gassers are somtimes in the long run cheeper than the diesels!!

Happy searching

DAFF

17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Do you need a dually? I know where there is a 00 crew short bed for sale. Nice truck, asking 12,000

18. Detroitdan

I don't get the $4-5k for a door statement. I was planning on spending $11-12k for a whole truck, pretty much the same but half the miles of my truck. The full crew doors is a big bonus for me, but not what I was buying. If it were a 2 door extended cab it wouldn't be worth changing, and if it were a 4 door with the same miles it wouldn't be worth it either.

I don't know much about the mechanical condition of the 99, but it is a diesel with only 85k miles on it, so mechanically it is likely still strong. Injector pumps rarely need to be changed, they only got that reputation due to dealers "misdiagnosing" pump failures so they could bill the manufacturer for a $2500 pump job instead of a $450 pump driver. Also, the injector pump is warranteed for 11 years or 110,000 miles.

Why should I move up a bodystyle? I happen to really like that bodystyle, and if I did go up a bodystyle it would put me into the Duramax series diesel. While I'd love to have a Duramax, they are still out of my price range. I'm not going to find a crew cab 4x4 D-Max with 85k for under $15k.

I've actually decided to keep my truck, spend some money on it and keep working it. But thanks for the input.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  19. Detroitdan

I don't absolutely need a dually, but I like it. Except when it's time for new tires. That sounds like an interesting truck, but I have decided to keep mine for working and get something else for a daily driver. I'm probably going to be trading my Jeep for either a Suburban or a Yukon XL. I'm tired of squeezing the kids into the carseats in the back of the Wrangler, then I have to push my seat up to the dashboard.