1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'97 3500 front rotors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by highlander316, Jan 21, 2009.

1. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i need to change the front rotors on my 97 3500. It's 4x4, auto hubs. How hard is this to do, I've changed rotors many times before, but only once on a 4wd unit, and that was a 87 F250 with manual hubs. Someone told me I might have to pull the axles, is this true? I don't mind doing the work unless it's going to be frustrating (then I'll just have my friend who works at a dealership do it, but I don't feel like waiting lol). Any tips, what tools will I need to take the hub assembly apart? Thanks.
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Chevy and Ford are difference.

I am sure it not mount like Ford did with front axle.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure you have to pull the wheel bearing assembly. The studs are pressed into the rotor and hub. I have heard you can pound out the studs with an air hammer.
  4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

just did this on my 95...well actually replaced the hub assembly, but same procedure. The studs are pressed through the hub assembly into the rotor...the studs popped out easy enough with a nut on the stud and a tap from a hammer, but pressing them back on is another story. I ended up using a shaft collar and a spare lug nut to "draw" the studs into the rotor, which worked pretty well. Do not drive them in with a hammer though!

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

To drive them out use a ballpeen hammer. Ballpeen side to stud and smack it with a BFH. You will need a 34 or 36mm for the axle nut don't remember it isn't that hard of a job just a brake job with a twist
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Its a lot of work just to change rotors in my opinion. It will be a 36 mm nut though for the spindle nut.
  7. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

It's not that hard to do I have done it on my 98 3 times now. As stated above Just remove with the socket and remove studs then put studs in new rotor and back on it goes.
  8. starsandstripes

starsandstripes Junior Member

Take off the rotor, take it to a (Goodyear??) they will press it out, and put back together for about 40.00. Its worth it!! Then, you can put everything back together from there.