1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 2500 - Catalytic Converter Issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MarkEagleUSA, Jan 16, 2014.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Driving home in the rain the other night I caught a rather larger puddle. Made a stop at the store and when I came out the truck was hard to start but did fire. However, it had almost no power so I got out and checked under the hood thinking everything was wet. Nope... all was well. So I headed for home.

Couldn't get over 30 mph and it felt like the tranny was stuck in low. I stopped and got underneath in the pouring rain thinking maybe a cooler line had let go. Nope... all was well.

I nursed her back home and let her sit all day yesterday. When I got home from work I went out for a ride. Climbing the hill into the enter of town was a challenge. I had my foot buried in the throttle and was barely moving. All of a sudden there was a huge shudder and as I glimpsed out the mirror I noticed thick black smoke from the exhaust. I made a conscious decision to keep my foot in it and either kill the truck or fix whatever was wrong.

What happened next scared the bejesus out of me. Another big shudder followed by a "BOOM" and more black smoke with glowing embers out of the exhaust. After that, the truck woke up and began running fine once again. Best I can figure is that the cat innards (which had an occasional rattle) must have broken up, clogged, and then let go from all the back pressure.

Drove it to and from work today and it ran fine. Also ordered a new Y-pipe/converter unit from Advance Auto that should be in this weekend. Not sure when I'll be able to get to fixing it since I have no garage to work in. Hopefully it'll run for near future until I get some warmer weather to get it fixed.
  2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Must be a dodge
  3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Check your fuel pressure too.
  4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

It definitely wasn't a fuel issue. There was a definite blockage in the exhaust. When it let go, it let go. As I said, red embers and thick dark smoke. Been running like a top for the past 2 days too.