1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'6" V on 2500 HD?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by funnyfarm77, Feb 14, 2010.

1. funnyfarm77

funnyfarm77 Junior Member

Wondering if i could put a 9'6" Fisher Xtreme V on a 2500HD Reg. Cab with the 6.0L. It currently has a 8'6" MVP and handles it fine with 900lbs of weight off the reese.

2. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

A better question would be, why not?

3. funnyfarm77

The truck got a 4500 front axle rating. Western says 9'6 mvp will work so a fisher should right?

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Not sure exactly about giong over axle, but I know the 9'6" V is 1000lbs.

5. funnyfarm77

How do you like the XV?

6. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I've seen a SS 9'6" on a reg cab sierra- with the 6.0. The suspension is beefed up for sure, but it's there.

7. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I love mine. Only run it 4 storms. Mounts easy, moves fast, and backdrags really well. I've seen a 9'6" on a reg. cab 6.6L 2500hd.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Friend of mine runs a 9-6 on a CREW cab 08. No problem, no mods.

9. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Interesting to see a 9.5 on a 2500.

Up here in Ontario I was personally told my an MTO officer (Ministry of transport) at a seminar that the front axle weight isn't the issue. Its the gross vehicle weight and overall condition of the truck that declares a ticket. She said go ahead put a 10ft plow on it, just balance the load in the rear and don't go over weight for the gross. But if you have a bald tire or burnt out light, you'll probably get a ticket.

The only reason I didn't go bigger was because of the soft gm front end. Don't want to break something. I have had zero issues with my truck's running a 8.5v on a 2500 gas and diesel. Just need a level kit.

10. funnyfarm77

I dont want to overload the front axle. I use 8 John Deere suitcase weight on a bracket I made to fit in the reeese hitch. On the MVP my front only drops about 1 and a half when I raise it. So maybe Ill be fine.

11. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

Mine handles a Blizzard 810 very well.

12. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

According to the fisher EZ match (I don't know what year your truck is) it will fit. You will need 560# Ballast and if you have the new body style Requires bumper notching.

13. funnyfarm77

Truck is 2005

14. funnyfarm77

Here another question. What do you guys think is a better built plow.... Western V or a Fisher V? I know their both built by DD. I have always had Western but I would like to here from guys that run both. Thanks for the input, love the web site...good place for resources....