1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

9'6" v durability

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ddb maine, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I have nearly no knowledge of fisher. I bought a 550 in december with a 9'mc. The MC is an awesome plow for roads, god its nice, but its not quick enough for th driveways that I have. How would a 9'6" v hold up to a 10,000lb truck beating (not truely, I go easy) on it? I have probably 2 miles total of GRAVEL roadway and 40 driveways of varying lengths.

Does anyone run a 9'6" v on a 550 on gravel roads and drives. The weight of the mc makes the gravel feel like pavement.

2. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

I can tell you from my experience that the 9'6" V would do fine on a 550. I have 4 International 4300 trucks with 9'6'' v plows that have been commercial lots for the past 5 years. and they are still in excellent condition. As for a gravel road I wouldn't know. I don't plow gravel.

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Excellent, I appreciate the information. Anyone running gravel roads?

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've plowed gravel with a vee before. Not too bad if you keep the blade up just a touch. As far as the truck/plow combo it will be fine. I know a few guys running that very setup and they have no complaints at all.

5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

that plow will be fine on the 550 we used to run one on a 350 and we never had a problem on unpaved surfaces if they were somewhat flat

6. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

The 550 is about 3k lbs heavier than the 350. Mine scales at 10,050.
    Though its good to know others are doing it. I just dont want to crumple the frame. The MC frame is huge compared to the V plows.

So the V rides a bit rough on gravel? I would imagine the trip wouldn't techincally be any different as the angles aren't any different than a straight blade at full tilt. Am I looking at the incorrectly?

7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i think u will be fine i just talked to a guy today wo has been running them on gm 4500 and 5500 and he said he never has had an issue

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

It's all I do..... I have very little Hottop ,,Course I have a Boss Vee : )

9. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Do you have a vxt or a standard V? any issues with the center bushings wearing out?

10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

[/COLOR]
    Traitor.....

11. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

:eek: LOL Wait a minute.... My first plow was a Diamond and my 2nd is a Boss.... I've been plowing with a Boss 9'-2" for at least 10 years..... I actually have added 10" to each side making it 10'-6" when straight... I replaced the Center pin 4years ago ( It has grease holes that I grease regulary) It gets sanded and painted every year I send it to the dealer more or less every year for complete service. It's been a Great plow. Faster than any Fisher that I've seen I'd get another in a heart beat...

12. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

The undercarriage on the MC is more stout than the 9'6" V undercarriage, but both will hook up to the same undercarriage, you should not have any problems with the V if you don't drive like Meatloaf (a bat out of hell). I plow a lot of graveled roads and as someone commented you need to either raise the blade or put shoes on or you will get a 'bulldozer' effect. I do understand Fisher may be working on a larger V for F550/Ram5500 (this may be to counter the new V from Boss).