1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 s-10 Blazer 2dr sagging front end w/plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scholzee, Jan 8, 2003.

1. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I just bought a 96 2dr s-10 Blazer with a 97 Western 6'6" plow on it the truck has 150k and I bought it from the original owner. My goal is to plow out my parents driveway (65 & retired) the driveway is small 20ft x 75 ft. They are located 1/2 way my ride to work, so I will do it on my way there or back. My dailey commute is 60 miles Highway driving, so i have the blade on most of the time. The front end of the truck sags pretty bad with plow on and still sags somewhat with plow off. The front has torsion springs and I was thinking of trying to torque them up. With 150k the probably need replacement, I don't think you can use the air bags with this setup. Looking for ideas on the best way to procede to get the truck level again. Thanks in advanced for all replies.

2. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

replace the tortion bars and re-align.

3. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Thanks any ideas if they made heavy duty torsion bars for the S-10 ( like ZR2 option) I may check at a Chevy dealer to see if they offered different load rated springs from the factory if not maybe the aftermarket makes some.

4. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Off Road Shop....

If you have one, they usually have some of the best knowlege, if they are a real off road shop. Just don't let them sell you a 12" lift kit... More than likely they could take a quick look at tell you what you need. Oh, and welcome to PlowSite. Seaman is probably right on with his reply, just thought I would give a diffrent option than the dealer....

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

We used to have a little 97 Blazer with a snoway,and installing timbrens really helped.They were kinda small,and just replaced the bumpstops (a bear to install),but they did the trick.We had also cranked up the stock bars just a hair to help level out the truck,as it always sat a tad low in the front.

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

sagging

I had a 96 s-10 with a snow-way on it. It was a pick up but front end design and components are the same for both. You can order torsion bars for the ZR2 and put them on. I did it with mine. I think it cost me around $275, but can't remember for sure. Once those bars were on a turned them up once or twice and had no problem with sag. Once you get to the off season, which hopefull will be April, turn the bars back down and you won't even notice a difference in ride.

7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but you'll tear that truck up.

Lemme get this straight, you are gonna drive 30 miles, plow a drive and drive another 30 miles to work.

You have a max speed of 45 mph with the plow on.
    You risk the possibility of overheating the engine and transmission. You will have a lot more stress on front end components, ball joints, tie rods ect.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just something to consider.

8. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but you'll tear that truck up.

Lemme get this straight, you are gonna drive 30 miles, plow a drive and drive another 30 miles to work.

There are a lot of S series plow trucks running around with great results. But with the number of miles you will be driving, I would hate to chance it.

You have a max speed of 45 mph with the plow on.
    You risk the possibility of overheating the engine and transmission. You will have a lot more stress on front end components, ball joints, tie rods ect.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just something to consider.

I would hate to see you tear up your truck
    Mark K

9. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I realize it is a light duty truck, my commute is 60 miles round trip so actually 15 miles, plow 15 miles to work, 30 miles home. I guess I need to fix the springs regaurdless because with the plow off it still sags. I was looking for what type of spring to put in, stock, aftermarket ZR2. It is a quick disconnect plow where everyting comes off and there is just the lower mount bracket, maybe I would just leave the plow at my Dad's if the driving with the plow on is too much for the truck. I realize the manufacturers 45 mph limit, but here in Buffalo, N.Y. I have never seen guys follow that, most plows are passing me on the highway.

10. cbr954plower

cbr954plower Junior Member

I have an idea.... get the front end beefed up..

If your only use is to plow the drive of your parents..... take the blade and A-frame off at your parents.... and put is somewhere out of the way.... If you have to throw a couple of pins in and hook up a chain it should not be that bad....

Plus you will save the truck front end...... Tranny...... Motor (overheat).... and so on..

Something to think about....

Get a Dolly so you can move it around easily... buy one or make one... I welded one with Pneumatic Tires and it is great moves in grass and snow

DEPO

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

speedracer - you'd be suprized what that little truck will take with proper preparation and maintenance.We had one,and it plowed for commercially for 3 years,with an 8 ft snoway,averaging 100-120 hrs a season.We abused that truck,and it took every bit.Only things that went wrong was the power seat keep dying,but they fixed it under warranty,and the check engine light stayed on all the time because the EGR kept sticking.

He will be fine,especially if he leaves the plow on site like suggested above.When transporting,just keep an eye on the engine temps,like any other truck,it may overheat with the blade on.