1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 ram half ton with a 18 foot trailer

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cclandscape 28, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Hey guys i have a 96 ram half ton with a 318 ext cab long bed .. I use this truck to tow around the snowblowers to my commerical accounts . The bed is just not enough room anymore. I came acroos a deal with an 18 foot landscape 7500 gvw trailer. Do you guys think this will be alot of stress on the truck towing that big of a trailer, About 25 miles With a plow at times on the front .. With like 8 to 10 heavy snow blowers And 6 guys. Any input would be great

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

id imagine the truck will more then likely explode in a matter of days.

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

do the math man...

6x 150lbs =900lbs im being generous
    8x 400lbs = 3200lbs
    plus the trailer weight, plus the plow weight...the little half ton would be a grenade!

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

6 guys in one truck? I've tow a skidsteer on a 16ft trailer with my plow on the truck 1/2 ton GMC with 4.8l never a problem you knew it was back there. Didn't bring the baseball team with me thou. Not a problem to tow the snowblowers.

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Tow Rating of that truck is 7700 pounds.

Subtract Weight of people
    6*200=1200 pounds
    Subtract Weight of Snowblowers
    8*200=1600 pounds
    Subtract Weight of Plow
    800 pounds
    Subtract Weight of Empty Trailer
    2000 pounds

1200+1600+800+2000=5600

You have 2100 pounds more towing capability than you need. I don't see that setup as being a problem. Use electric brakes.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

It will be fine. Just expect to wear out stuff under the truck allittle faster. The brakes and front end parts expecially. Most of all keep the trans cool and service it with flushes/filters.

7. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Ive towed around an 18 footer with snowblowers on it nearly this whole winter with my 02 ram 1500 quad cab with the 360 V8, it does it like a champ. Now this was only myself and one other guy, and i dont have a plow on my truck, so we didnt nearly have as much weight but i think the truck can handle it.

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

i think you guys are nuts...i had the same truck, same motor...with me, 500 600 lbs in back and a plow in the front and I thought the truck was maxed out...u guys must really work your trucks

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i had a 98 1500 with the 5.2 litre and it sucked for towing anything, let alone an 18foot trailer loaded with snowblowers, and a play hanging off the front. would it do it??? im sure it would, but it wouldent be long till something let go.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Go get a 3/4 or 1 ton dude. That truck is going to hate you and it will let you know.

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

To those that say the truck will break or blow apart-
    Is it not true that the truck is loaded with 2000 pounds to spare according to the MANUFACTURERS recommendation?

What do you think will break?
    The front end will have less of a load on it because of the added ballast of the tongue weight of the trailer. Only thing better than having ballast at the tailgate is having it behind the tailgate-at the trailer hitch. So the front end will be better off if he has a trailer than if he didn't have one.

He should use electric brakes. If he does, then the brakes will not see (much) more load.

The engine will see more load. However, many 1 ton trucks are powered with less than what he has-especially older ones. I do not think towing that trailer will destroy that engine.

The transmission will see more load. If he has a temp gauge on there though, I would easily say that cruising with a load is less wear and tear than plowing to begin with.

I don't think the OP asked if the truck will win a race. If he can't afford a new/bigger truck, he does not need to be concerned with this one becoming shrapnel by doing what he is proposing.

Bigger trucks can be worked harder than smaller ones, but that doesn't mean that everyone needs a duramax/allison to tow a trailer a few miles.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

He was asking for opinions and he got them. Now he can take them for what they are worth and make his own judgement. We all hope it works out well for him.

13. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Hey thanks guys for the input. This truck is used bye my guys i my self have a f350 mason dump That tows my 20 foot trailer all summer. i just bought this trailer cause the 14 foot single axle trailer was to its max with weight from the machines. Cant see buying a new truck for guys that only seem to break things. Thank you guys for the input. looks like i wont knw how the truck does untill next winter with this mild march we are having in ct . Thanks again guys