1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96' Ram- Driver door stuck???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Eggie329, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I just bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4. I have a bunch of small things to fix on it, but I got it for a steal. For some reason the driver side door is stuck shut. The guy I bought it from said the latch was loose and then the door got stuck soon after. I figured I would just go grab another latch from the junk yard, but can't get the door open to get the panel off! Any ideas?

2. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

two options -

1. plan to replace the door panel and rip it off(and that always doesnt help to fix stuck door)

2. plan to replace whole door and cut it off...

the guy is probably right about the latch but it is almost impossible to get to from inside the door not to mention its the drivers side with the steering wheel right in the way.... you will spend more time and effort than its worth, more than it will be worth just to get a donor door and cut old one off... you are more likely to give up before you ever get to the latch

but you are def going to have to rip panel out to even have a chance of opening the door

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

This era trucks had an issue with the mechanicial latching sytem getting worn and out of synk with the latching mecanism. Also the door pins will wear causing the door to sag and making it difficult to open and close.

Measure the height of the door latch from the other side. Get a 1" or so hole saw and cut the exterior of the door on the drivers side so you can access the latch. Pick the latch.... should open right up. From there you can replace the door or put a magnet on the door with a company logo to cover the hole.
  4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

It is not easy but you can get the door panel off with out hurting it, once off you can reach inside and force the latch open.
  5. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

The new door theory is looking pretty good seeing as the latch will probably not be so easy to replace. Anyone have a rough idea of price for a door for a 96'? My other dodge has a replaced door, but I can't remember what the guy I bought it from said he paid for it.
  6. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

craigslist is a place i find my parts..... there is a guy under cincinnati ohio cragslist (where i live) who has an ad parting out four or five dodge trucks... and few salvage yards locally to me who handle nothing but wrecks and parting