1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 k2500 seems like front end binding in 4 hi

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fordmstng66, Nov 23, 2010.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I have a 96 k2500, and I have fixed my t-case. Now that truck goes into 4hi it seems like it binds when I am turning, I know they will but this is bad turning left it feels like the front end dips down, it is also making a clanking noise when I am turning or even backing up with the wheel turned. I have on the drivers side replaced the cv axle, and the bearing assembly, they were shot. What could cause this? I do not know if or how much the torsion bars have been cranked. Is it possible they are cranked too much and that is causing the binding? Any help will be appreciated, I am at the end of my rope with this truck

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

if im on dry pavement it will stop if im not on the gas . 4x4 only in the snow

3. fordmstng66

This problem is with out the plow on the truck

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta ask.......did you put bigger tires or after market mud flaps on the truck?

5. fordmstng66

No, still has the 245/75/16 tires. I do know the tires are in bad shape, and no mud flaps.

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Are you in dry pavement or other hard surface while turning the wheel with it in 4 wheel drive? That is very bad for components, and will cause the binding. The cv spins regardless of whether the truck is in 2H or 4H, so I doubt that is the problem. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have the same problem and you are on a slippery surface.

7. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

When was the last time you replaced your bearings and greased the hubs ?

8. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

9. mrplow5885

mrplow5885 Junior Member

is it leaking fluid out of the axle tube behind the flange that the cv shaft bolts to? the axle bearings can be problematic on the drivers side some times. it is a pain to replace, involves dropping assm and completely disassembling.

10. fordmstng66

Thanks for all the response, I was on dry pavement with it, I will try it in some loose gravel or find dome mud. The drivers side cv axle and bearing have just been replaced. These are the answers I wanted to hear.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How do you grease the hubs?

12. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

check the u-joints in the front driveshaft

13. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Take the hub and put some grease in it. At least I do but I have lockouts. If you have sealed hubs then there isn't much you can do but replace the hub Its more to see if the bearings need to be replaced. If the grease broke down and the bearing cage got bent or out of whack the little ball bearings could cause binding or grinding. Putting your front end in contact with allot of water and dirt can cause this I check mine every two months or so. Its pretty easy to do

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You have a '98 Z71 half ton with lockouts? :eek:

15. fordmstng66

Thanks but I replaced the hub (bearing) assembly, and the cv axle on the drivers side. So I do not think it is either of those at this point.

16. fordmstng66

I guess that would have been the obvious, but did not even think of that, I will look at that wednesday, have off work un til monday night, that should give me time to straighten this out and also finish wiring my strobes and leds.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not saying it's not possible, but you're going to need to post pics if you expect anyone to believe that....

18. cubicinches

I am.... :jester:

19. cubicinches

Still wondering about the '98 Chevy with lockouts....????

Anyone...???

20. auto tech

auto tech Junior Member

87 last year for lock outs half ton gm