1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 Ford F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by beherit316, Aug 28, 2003.

1. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Had a question for anyone who knows of this problem.When 4 wheel drive is engaged on my F-250 and I turn the wheels
    I get this clicking noise sort of sounds like my universals but it isn't.I changed all the universal on the truck and put in new hubs last winter.I went from auto-matic hubs to manual because I hear they are much stronger.
    Anyone know what this obnoxious clicking noise could be? Brought it to 3 different mechanic's they cant figure it out.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Are you sure it's not an axle joint ? There are three on the front axle,and three on the front driveshaft.Did you replace all six ?

3. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I actually think the noise is coming for the 4x4 transfer case when it is engaged.my brother in law who has the highest ranking one can get in auto mechanics cant even figure it out.I guess my truck makes him look silly.I was at a ford dealer 2 months ago having body work done and had a mechanic look at it there but it wouldn't do the noise it usually does.

To answer your question I do believe all that was inspected.I am wondering if it is possible for something inside the transfer case to mimic the noise of a bad universal?And if so what can the consequences be if not further looked into?
    From what I was told it is alot of work to open up the transfer case and inspect it.I have a 2 year 34,000.00 mile warranty on my truck which runs out in January.

The noise makes a pinging/clicking sound when the wheels are turned all the way either left or right while its in 4 wheel drive.When operating at normal speeds it is not noticeable.When I initially brought it to a Ford dealer they said it was the sway bar making the noise, I was like no way.I went out and bought a new sway bar and put it on and it still made the noise.So I took off the sway bar and put the original back on and complained to Ford that they misdiagnosed my truck.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

When turning full right or left in 4x4, the front axles bind and the release torque as the u-joints go through the rotation. Any slop in the front drivetrain can make noise at this time. I'd check the ring and pinion lash first, it can make a high pitched ping like you describe.

If that checks OK, check the splined shaft of the driveshaft and the gear lash of the transfer case.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Check the spindle bearings too.They are under a lot of stress when the wheels are turned hard in 4WD.If you find a lot of slop in the outer stub shaft where it goes through the spindle,they may be bad.They commonly lose the grease,and dry out,which galls the stub shaft,and creates a noise.

I'd still pay close attention to the front axle outer u-joints.Even if they were replaced,they could be too tight,or not greased properly.