1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F350 balljoints

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jj112, Mar 28, 2007.

1. jj112

jj112 Junior Member

I have a 1996 F350 4X4 auto, with a 7.5 liter engine. I need to replace the ball joints. Any suggestion on where to buy the parts, what else top replace while it is apart and a readers digest version of the procedure? Thanks
    JJ

2. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I have an 02 F450, so I'm not sure if this will help you any or not, but I just bought both sides for my truck (upper and lower) on ebay for $45 plus shipping ($16). I also ordered a drag link at the same time for about the same price.

My truck is at the dealer to have both exhaust manifolds replaced due to broken studs (covered under warranty). The dealer called and wanted between $1200 and $1400 to do the work!! You be the judge, but that seems a little high to me.

If you can't find them on eBay, try NAPA or Pep Boys, if they are in your area.

Good luck.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have an 89.
    It should be the same as yours.
    Get the repair manual for it.
    The big tip I can give you is to take the lower retainer ring out of the ball joint. Hammer the top one and driver it down. It will pop off and you just have to hit the lower one a few times for it to pop out.Take it to a machine shop to have the new ball joints installed. It's worth the $20 or so to have it done right.
    I f you have any other problems do not hesitate to ask questions. I have done it 2 times on my truck and many other times on others.I have done the front axle U joints too so ask away I can help you to make it easier.

4. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

I like getting my front end parts at http://www.quad4x4.com
    They can sell you the hole package deal & give you the advice / help you need.wesport
    Its not a hard job, just time consuming. When you tear it a part, also check axle U joints, wheel bearings, spindle seals & baring, hubs & remember you will need a front end alignment when done, even if you only change the ball joints. Its better to do what it needs when you have it apart then to wish you had done it when your finished. If the ball joints are really bad, count on needing the axle U joints, it puts more stress on them.

5. MickiRig1

Buy name brand parts. Don't go cheap!!!
    Unless you want to visit to job in less then 10K.
    The Guys I have talked to say the Ford Front End / Axle goes about 30K between total rebuilds. That's what I have observed too. All most to the mile! My Dog rides with me too he can testify too. He gets upset when the truck breaks!
    He might have to walk home!
    Leave the warm/ dry truck!

6. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I have a set of upper and lower ball joints from NAPA sitting on the shelf. If you have not done the job yet let me know and I'll give you the NAPA part #'s. If they fit I'm sure I can give you a great price + shipping of course.

7. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

96 F-350 Ball joints

I Dono? but as an Ole GUY! I BUY a lot of After Market Parts--but--NOT any thats Hard to Install-- On Those! I BUY Only Brand Names I Know!--Produce & SELL Quality Parts--Mufflers Tail Pipes & Nickel & Dime Stuff--after Market is OK--but-On Hard to Install Stuff?--BUY Quality Stuff!--& Open UP the BOX & Look it Over!--dose it have Grease Fittings? On front End Parts?--Universals--Tie Rod Ends & drag Links--& Look UP & USE the Proper GREASE! & Your Replaced Parts will last a Long TIME! I Hope? this Helps? some ONE!--Ole Tower--

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

1200 to put in ball joints? wtf? something i worry about is MAINTAINENCE COSTS. they seem hurrendous. more money maintaining the vehicle than you paid for it............ i need to find a good shade tree mechanic...........

9. MickiRig1

The Guy that owned my truck before me got dinged $1,500 for replacement of the ball joints, U-joints and brakes. Later He's driving down the road and the power steering "goes out".
    He pulls into the Dodge dealer and trades the truck in. A week later I buy it off the Budget / Clearance lot. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a $35 high pressure power steering line that popped on the truck.