1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F350 460-V8 exhaust upgrade?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Flyboy77, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I've started hearing an exhaust leak on the driver's side in the engine bay (can hear it when throttle bumped, like a tapping tish-tish...matching revs). I'm guessing most likely rust issues with the manifold. Assuming I need to pull off the exhaust manifold and replace at least the gasket possibly the manifold. I also have a hole in my muffler, so exhaust system change is in order. Since I've removed the bed and installed a flat bed, I'm thinking about changing the system to turn-downs after the muffler. I do not have emissions inspection required on this vehicle, but would like to keep the check engine light off (OBD I). I would also like to hear the engine (gas V8 :) a little versus it's current quiet muffler, but don't want to wake the neighborhoods I plow.

I saw several on here install headers. If I'm going to be removing the manifolds anyway, are installing headers worth it for power or mpg gains?

Any advice on an exhaust upgrades. This is a plow truck only and any improvements toward that end are desirable (torque, mpg, audible rumble).
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with cast iron exhaust. No gains in headers for a plow truck.
    No need for a loud truck as well IMO.
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If you look at your exhaust manifolds, you will probably find some manifold bolts broken off in the head. Don't waste your cash on headers. A loud truck will piss off people at 3am plowing.
  4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Dieselss and Randall are spot on. Nothing to add.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

old rusted, warped manifolds.
    what is the cost difference between aftermarket and the stock replacement?

you can still use headers and a old-man muffler.

but,, i think the biggest issue will be getting the broken studs oot of the head.