1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f250hd plow prepping

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mpriester, Feb 28, 2014.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i am going to be looking at one of these as a back up and am wondering what prepping you guys do to these to get them plow ready besides normal maintenance and repairs. it has the 5.8 with a standard tranny.
    Thank You
    Mike

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That all depends.
    What's the miles? What's the condition? How was it maintained all in all?

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

a 96 F250HD will have a dana 50 TTB (twin traction beam) front axle - a form of IFS. this axle is known for uneven tire wear due to misalignment when modifying the suspension (even a slight leveling kit), or when the springs become worn and sag. the axle housing is also known to crack where it meets the spring. hard to detect cus you need to get on your back and wipe away all the grime and really inspect. that said, i ran that axle for years on a backup plow truck with a crack and it never failed me. thats really the weakest link in the F250's. good news is the 86-97 F350's had the dana 60 solid front axle that swaps right in. i've done the swap before.

other items to closely inspect is the oil pan, spring hangers, and radiator support - all are known to rust out on this vintage ford.

it came from the factory with either 3.55 or 4.10 rear gear ratios. with a 5.8 motor and especially if plowing, the 3.55's would be a deal breaker for me - 4.10 is what you want.

4. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Check brake lines trans lines and power steering lines.

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Thanks Fellas, but mainly what im looking for is what extra suggestions you have for prepping it for plowing like re-enforcing frames and whatever else there may be. I am very familiar with the year and style of the truck as i have had several just never plowed with one.
    Thank You
    Mike

6. trevier

trevier Senior Member

take this as you want. I bought a 96f250 back in the summer of 96,brand new off the lot. It rode worse than a bulldozer,got terrible mpg,4.10 gears. had the 4spd auto with the 351 in it. I plowed with it beginning in 96 and stopped in 2006 when I traded it in for a new ride. I had a 8ft fisher on it and did 50 stops for years. I put the timbrens on the front which made it ride even worse, but it is a f250 after all and I miss plowing with it. Good luck, truck treated me fine.

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 96 with the PSD in it. the truck rusted out on me. The front axle is the weak link for the truck. Well, that and turning radius. I added a 2-2.5" axle drop bracket and installed springs from a F350 on my truck. I believe they replaced something else to deal with realignment as well. This is is the best mod you can do to that axle. I had been running Timbrens before that to deal with the plow weight. Awful ride as the frame contacts the axle at all times. I liked my mod better than a simple add a leaf. After the mod, my timbrens which I left on never contacted the axle again. I also added the larger axle block in the rear to accomadate the 2" lift in the front. You can also swap in a Dana 60. That is hands down the best mod, with the one I did being runner up. I guess you could also just put air bags in the truck and run them when you have the plow in. The air bag system for the leaf spring setup is pretty heavy duty.