1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f250 starting problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplowpro, Feb 17, 2014.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I went to get gas the other night and shut the truck off went and got back in and it wouldn't start then had to get towed home the next day it started but when I went to do a driveway I came home and shut it off it wouldnt start after it was hot .

basically starter is new
    terminals are clean
    :confused:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

On our 04 f350 the new starter only lasted 2 weeks before it died.

3. fhafer

fhafer Member

What do you mean by "wouldn't start"? Is it turning over fine but won't fire...or is it not turning over at all? Two totally different problems with different trouble shooting methods.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Crank no start. Or no crank no lights?
    Hugh difference capt Ron

5. snowplowpro

from NJ

when its hot I have power with lights and radio and stuff but it sounds like something is stuck only when its hot . I just went outside and it started no problem drove around for a bit and shut it off still started .
    its like it starts and don't start when it wants to.

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

again, need to answer these questions. cranking or not cranking over.

7. snowplowpro

from NJ

it cranks it has power lights horn etc

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

if its cranking over, and randomly starting and not starting. can you check for fuel or spark? and if the fuel pump is running, which doesnt mean its getting fuel. could be an ignition module or the coil.

9. snowplowpro

from NJ

I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key im gonna check the ignition coil

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Heat load on the starters will make them slow down or not even turn. My old 89. I had an extra key. I would open hood to cool down and fuel it running, go get coffee etc.
    Got a timing light? Tape the trigger switch on. Put it on and see if you have spark. None to a spark plug wire? Put it on the coil wire if you have one. Listen to what your fuel system sounds like when when you first turn it on. You should hear 2 clicks. 1 is the CPU then fuel pump relays. Then like a "Vert" sound when the regulator bleeds pressure off. Take the gas cap off, push in the little door ( if you have one and listen ). Should be able to hear the pump running. Pumps are very sensitive to the correct voltage. Make sure all your grounds. ( Black wires to body, frame engine ) under the hood are cleaned and protected with Dielectric grease. When it's running pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator. The idle should increase. If not the regulator could be bad. If it has the plug in ignition module on the distributor. It may be going if no spark. I don't know if that year still has them. Some years even having the engine temp sensor bad will make a no start. The last point : Intermittent problems suck! The part has to finally die to find it most times.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Gas or diesel

How many miles

12. snowplowpro

from NJ

gas 5.8liter less than 75,000

13. damian

damian Senior Member

Its too hard to help some folks.

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Its prob the starter if I was throwing darts at it

15. snowplowpro

from NJ

now it seems to be starting fine I ran a while yesterday shut it off and it started again no problem even after it was hot

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The heat load comes from working it hard. I never had a problem just driving it normally. It's when I worked it plowing the no start happened. You just have no air flow plowing at near idle at 15 MPH.
    My truck before the my 99 was an 89 5.8 F-250. Another problem with those trucks is the duel tank switcher. If it dies on you randomly, that could be the problem. I chased it for 2 years.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  17. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have had the same problem on one of my my 93's. It turned out to be the new starters that i was getting from napa wouldn't work work when it was warmed up.
    also, i have also had problems with the fender solenoid too if they get warmed up.
    another thing is make sure your grounded to the block and not on top of the motor for a ground, as fords dont like a hot motor for a ground.