1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f250 noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplowpro, Dec 25, 2012.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

When you put it in drive and take off it gives like a kick like it getting pushed
    hard to explain without you guys hearing it but I checked the u joints they seem to be fine the transmission shifts fine the transmission mounts are fine I don't know what else.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

When was the fluid and filter changed last? How many miles on it? I had one I had rebuilt. The tech warned me that one of the valves was a bit sticky. It would not shift into first when you came to a stop sometimes When you started off it would down shift into first after about 5 foot. Could be an electronic problem too. Depends on what tranny you have.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Mostly like it rear axle. I replaced once on 95 F250 that only had 60K.

Have someone look at driveshaft on axle how much it turn before stop. U hold on brake and rev rpm about 1000 while shift R to N to F and F to N to R you will feel bang and someone will say WHOA alot plays.

At my work we had 2 Ford that had 3-5" play or time clock from 12 to 5 which is HUGE deal. Should be 1/2" is enough.

4. snowplowpro

from NJ

The e40d trans but its not that it shifts fine no hard shifting I'm thinking more towards the what Milwaukee is saying it has almost 70thousand like 68 or 69 and change. If it's the rear then I would have to change it out or can it be fixed.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They can be fixed, a new ring and pinion, bearings and seals. Or a whole new rebuilt unit where you just bolt on the new one. The first option you don't have to deal with a lot of wrenching. Just cost of parts and to have someone set it up for you. It has to be done right or you fry the new parts in 50 miles.

6. snowplowpro

from NJ

So I think it has a Dana 50 back or 70 do I get another same rear but how do I know the gears ratio. Is the same

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I rather get junkyard rear axle and be done. It only $100-150 for used axle VS $350 in rebuilt kit and not know it going last cause it PRECISION adjustment to get perfect if one mistake you ruin gear set.

U need pry diff cover to look what gear ratio say. should be 3.54 or 4.10 but popular for this with 351W will be 4.10 but don't quote on me.

8. brfootball45

brfootball45 Senior Member

I had your same problem I was chasing it couldnt find it out, then I looked at the splines on the driveshaft in the rear a rubber boot covers it. When the splines arent greased they cause this noise or thump your feeling I thought it was rearend till I loaded that boot up with grease and havent had the problem since. Try it out

I have a 95 F350*

9. snowplowpro

from NJ

Ill check it out thanks

10. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

The gear ratio is stamped on a tag attached to the diff cover, kinda hard to make out sometimes, but much simpler than ripping the cover off. Also the rear diff should be a Sterling, not a Dana.

11. snowplowpro

from NJ

Really a Sterling there not Dana's in the back never knew that.

12. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Sterling is part of FORD and have been for many years just not well known by most