1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f250 diesel trying to wire up plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86f350, Oct 5, 2010.

1. 86f350

86f350 Member

Hey guys i have my uni mount all wired up except the keyed accessory hook up. With the truck being a diesel there isn't any left over fuse spots to pull power from. So i bought a add a circuit but they say dont put it in anything over a 10 amp spot and i only have two that are 10 amp and they are hot all the time also a 3 and a 5 amp thats it. All the other ones are 15 amps. can i pull from one of the 15 amps if they are keyed hot. Im going to use a 7.5amp ATO.Where are you guys getting you power source from on these trucks. All the wires under the dash ar probably 16 ga or smaller and all the ones ive looked at have been hot all the time or other functions . Im also trying to find a extra spot to grab power for some aux lights. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Think about looking up the "run circuit" on the circuit diagram in a repair manual. It will come off the ignition switch. I do believe Ford uses a large yellow or red 10 gage wire. One is run one is start. You could do a line mans splice / solder it and fuse the wire off it. The run circuit is all the stuff on with the key on run. You have the start circuit which powers everything you need to start the engine. That's why the heater, wipers etc turn off when you start the engine. My book does not cover diesels or I would look it up for you.

3. Chipper

Chipper Member

I just piggy backed onto an existing fuse. Have done that on two diesel trucks a 96 and a 92 Ford F-250. The 92 has been that way for 5 years of plowing and never an issue.

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

another vote for a piggy back. the wiring for the western unimount on my old 96 F350 PSD had a spade on it that slide into an existing fuse.

5. 86f350

86f350 Member

Thanks for your input i guess ill have to piggyback it then.