1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F150 long bed 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by woodsman, Feb 15, 2011.

1. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I have a 96 long bed 5.0 auto with a western plow on the front and when driving down the highway at 55 the truck is getting hot. If i lower the plow a bit it cools off a bit then seems to start getting hot a again. Without the plow it is not an issue. I check the coolant level and it is good, is it just the plow blocking the cooling?? or maybe a pump going bad??. When plowing my driveway (1500ft) is does not ever get past the r on normal on the gage. and if left idling for extended time it does not get hot?

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would say it is you rplow blocking the air for the radiator. Some say it will help to angle the blade also.

Not sure if it wouid help in your situation but I ahve a little saturn I use for commutting and it used to run hot. My friend told me to run watter wetter, it made a huge difference, the car would get hot on the freeway if you were cruising and hit ruch hour traffic. Hven't had an issue with it and it has been a few years since I started using it.

Its pink and is about $7 a bottle, you just add a little bit. Might be worth a try.

3. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

The plow is blocking the air flow to the radiator. Lower the plow, try different angles, and slow down.

4. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Or make a air deflector that sits above the plow and force air back down towards the radiator as it is all headed either under the truck or over the hood currently.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

GET new Heavy Duty AC Fan clutch.