1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F150 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by woodsman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Hi, I just bought a 96 ford F150 with a western plow. I won the truck at an auction for 1100 bucks and it has every maint record from the day it was bought. It was a town of batavia fleet truck. It has a 302, auto and the problem is, it goes into 4 hi no problem but will not go to 4 low. It says on the shifter to press down but when i do it simply will not engage low lock, the shifter just stays in 4x4 hi. Am i missing something here i have a newer F150and it is just a pull over and back. The 96 has manual lockouts if that means anything.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.
  2. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

On my 96 F250 you must be in nuetral to put in 4low.
  3. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thanks i will give that a try.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it has the floor mounted lever they tend to get crudded up. You can try spraying it with penetrating oil and working it till it works. Or pull it off, clean it up and put it back. It's real fun to get the big bolt to start threading into the trasfer case.