1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f-350 power and fuel usage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by brusew86, Dec 26, 2012.

1. brusew86

brusew86 Junior Member

I recently acquired a 96 F-350, 460 gas, DRW, dump body with plow. I am quite disappointed in the performance of this truck and just wanted some opinions from others who are familiar with these trucks if it might have some problems. Besides the lack of performance, the check engine light has been coming and under high throttle positions when it it downshifts and is running at higher RPM's, it makes a popping or misfire sound. First the amount of fuel it uses is astronomical, but I found a few threads on this forum that seem to confirm that I am in the ballpark, but still a bit low i think. I got between 6-7 mpg driving at 55 on the highway unloaded, and just got about 4 for a 80 mile trip, 25 of which was pulling a 10k trailer. Then there is the power or lack there of. I can only go about 15 MPH up moderate hills when towing my trailer (10,000 total weight). There are a few steep hills by me, where the truck will come to a stop and I have to shift into low range to make it up (again with the trailer). Does this seem normal? My mechanic looked at and replaced the map sensor which he said was definitely bad. It helped the idle but I dont notice much else different. He recommended I replace the O2 sensor as it may have been compromised by the poor mixture that resulted from the bad map sensor. Anyway just looking for some opinions on the fuel and power issues. Thanks a lot.
  2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

It probably needs a tune up plugs wire cap rotor fuel filters are probably clogged check trans fluid start there see what happens.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would replace the O2 Sensors. Make sure all the filters are replaced. Spark plug wires and plugs are replaced or good.Distributor cap if it has one is replaced. Some are good for just 2 years then they screw up. Fail to start when it's wet, sputter when it's raining. PCV may need replaced. All vacuum lines are good and if it has a vacuum reservoir it is good? Some years have a metal can that rusts out on the bottom. Seems like a lot of stuff. But you will know its replaced and you are starting from new. A throttle position sensor can cause problems too. It does not always just fail. It can have it's moments or days where it works. Then it sucks gas.
  4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

that truck is OBD1 and if the check engine light is on, then something is definetly wrong with it. OBD1 only turns on the check engine light when its something serious (at least that has been my experience with my OBD1 F350 and mustang). OBD1 is not nealy as sensitive to problems as OBD2 which will turn on the light for the slightest thing like a gas cap not being tightened properly.

you can buy a code reader or here's an article on reading codes without the use of a reader:

the system will store codes even when the light is not on. read codes before blindly thowing parts at it.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

96 should be OBD 2?
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

ford trucks over 8600 GVW are OBD1 through 1997. some rare exceptions exist on some trucks sold in california.
  7. brusew86

brusew86 Junior Member

Right I was surprised that it was OBD1 also. The mechanic said they gave them another year or so to implement OBD2 on heavier vehicles. The 460 is a big stupid engine. It doesnt make much power, only 35 more HP than the 5.8 liter. You would think that at least if you are getting 4 MPG you could pull a load up a hill at more than a fast walking pace. I'm still hoping ill find something substantial wrong that will get her working a bit better.
  8. camp61

camp61 Member

Ummm... does it have a converter? Plugged?