1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F-350 7.3 desiel bogging

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ebbster, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

I have a 96 F-350 7.3 and my problem is that when ever I'm driving it will just bogg down and pour black smoke out the exhaust. It is a 5 speed and 1 and second gear it runs fine. The check engine light is not on. Appreciate any help take care

Ebbster

2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Maybe change your fuel filter

3. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

i did that and one guy down here said cam sensor so i got one of them and didnt help

ebbster

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Do those have water separators on them?? Could be a vacuum line is broke or came off somewhere, maybe one to the turbo??

5. Could be the oil is thinned out and the high pressure oil sensor is kicking try changing the oil my 7.3 did that and all it needed was a oil change do you use rotella? good stuff but I got a buddie who is a LE dealer and thats the stuff I use kinda pricey if you dont have a 'buddie' but worth it its red like tranny fluid but who cares it works.

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I have a 96 and I can say this is a very odd problem. I can say it is NOT a CMP sensor or fuel filter issue. The black smoke has me puzzled, I have not had dirty oil cause this on my truck and I change it @ 10.000mi. I guess start with the basics; what mods have been done if any? Any trouble codes in the computer? Whats the ambient air temp? Whats the boost? and are there any exhaust leaks before the turbo? How many miles on the engine? Possibly a bad injector(s). Black smoke is over fueling due to either not enough air (bad turbo, restricted air flow) or bad injector(s).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  7. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

try the the fuel heater or cold weather baffle. Is the bogging like an engine brake then it takes off with a clould of black smoke? A 40.00 part

8. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

the truck has 183.000 miles on it. i change the oil every 5.000 miles. we hooked up a computer to it and no codes showed up. so I dont no but thanks for everyones help...

9. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

When you do take off it is a cloud of black smoke so I will try that part thanks

Ebbster

10. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

does it only do it when the outside air temp is below 40?

11. Ebbster

Ebbster Junior Member

yeah it does

Ebbster