1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F-350 2wd Dump front coil springs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CMerLand, Feb 20, 2010.

1. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Did a search and found some of you to be quite knowledgable on the ford front springs. Heres the deal. 96 F-350 2wd non-superduty with front coil springs. Front axle GAWR is 4000 pounds. This truck suspension has been a pain in the ass since I got it. It just has like 4 inches of clearance on the plow frame with the plow off even less with it on.

Replaced the springs at the local spring shop the first time 3 years ago and installed timbrens looking to solve the problem. After 15 months the spring coils were touching each other, the frame sinking. After getting no satisfaction from the spring shop on why these springs were shot after 15 months, and they said its cause of the plow weight (maybe a half dozen events) I tried to go the after market route.

Installed a set of Skyjacker (HA) coil springs last year which were supposed to give me two inches above stock height. Not so much. Because this is not a superduty, essentially these coil springs were designed for the F-150 suspension used on a 350 for this application. The suspension is sitting on the timbrens and compressing as soon as I raise the plow.

Are there a taller / heavier duty rated set of springs for this truck and if so what is the code if you know it? It was a cab and chassis set up so are ambulance springs an option? This truck sits nose down empty with no plow so raising the front, and ride quality are not the priority but of secondary concern.

Lastly, correct me if Im wrong but aren't airbags intended to keep the springs from compressing, not intended to actually raise up the front suspension. Any info would be much appreciated.
  2. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

broke one on a 88 F350 2wd CC with a 8.5 western and 7.3 diesel. We had an issue with the correct replacment springs being to short, unable to align the front end. The solution from the spring supplier was a set of Dodge coils. Not sure what year etc but it worked real well.

You might want to look into something like this.
  3. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Bump to the top
  4. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Still looking for possible answers?