1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F-250 problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by scuba875, Jan 5, 2005.

1. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Hi guys I got my truck out for the first time and after about 4 hours from the up and down of the blade my truck killed and battery was almost drained all the way. I jumped it and it started right up. I turned all the lights off, radio, heat and it went smooth for the last hour. It has a new battery in it.

Here is my question, will dual battery's fix this problem, better alternator, or both. I looked under the hood and where the 2nd battery is on my 97 F350 PSD is where the washer fluid is on this truck. Where would I put it? Move the washer tank?

Thanks
    Patrick

2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

What size alternator is in the truck now? I think my 90F250 came with a 70 amp, which I upgraded to a 130. Lights still dim when moving plow, but that's it. Maybe your alt is just on it's last leg.

3. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I'm not sure what size it is. I just got the truck about 2 weeks ago. I was going to take it in this morning to the garage up town but he got backed up towing cars so he couldn't't get it done today. I am going back out tonight and I think that will be it for a while. I am going to toss a battery on the floor of the pass. side and a booster pack just in case it dies again and I need to jump it. I think on Friday I will just buy the biggest alternator I can get and see if I can find a place to mount a second battery.

4. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I had the same issue with my 96 F250 last year and I put in a new alternator (larger) and that fixed the problem. I still run one battery the only thing is that the lights dim a little when I move the plow.

5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

If you added another battery it would not fix the problem but it would take twice as long for the battery's to go dead. A bigger alternator is the answer but the best setup would be both a larger alternator and a second battery. Get a bigger alternator first then another battery if you find a place to mount it.

6. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Thanks guys I just got back in from last night and it worked OK. I was a little more attentive and used the amount of snow to lift the blade then hit the hydraulics. Worked out OK but I am going to get a new alt tomorrow and see if I can find a place to mount the second battery. It was the first time I used the truck so I found out a little to late and it had to be a big storm to. Oh well thats the way it goes. This is my first year back plowing after a 12 year break. I did it all during school until I was 21. When that truck died I remembered why I stopped in the first place. The guy I drove for had some really rough equipment and use to break down at least once a storm.

Thanks again
    Pat

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

if you have close to a 100,xxx miles or more the brushes are prolly shot in the alt and it is time for some new ones. Do you have a gas truck , i assume so, i would upgrade to the g3 alt that came on mustangs and taursus and waht not, they were 130 amp from the factory. It will also be cheaper on the wallet. I built my 200 amp for 40 bucks, new they are closer to 250 bucks or more.

this is a list i picked up from the wrecking yard when i was seraching for a 3g alt

All of these Ford vehicles had the 130amp 3G

(1994-95) Ford Mustang 5.0L
    (1994-00) Ford Mustang 3.8L
    (1994-97) Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar 3.8L
    (1990-95) Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable 3.8L
    (1993-99) Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable 3.0L
    (1995-98) Ford Windstar 3.8L & 3.0L
    (1991-94) Lincoln Continental 3.8L
    (1992-97) Ford F Series Pickup
    (1992-96) Ford E Series Van

there is a large case version and small case...IIRC the large case is close to 6" in diam. If you don't have a large case and go to put it on yours you will more than likely have to clearence the brcket slighty.

8. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I got a Powermaster High Amperage Black Heat-Transfer Alternator 349.00.
    It puts out 125 amp at idle and 200 amp max. I did some reading on a ford truck forum and a lot of guys are using these alternators and they seem to be the best out there for heavy draw without altering the mount or wiring harness. I will let you guys know how it works out should be here on Tuesday.
    If you want to look into them here is the link where I ordered it from.

96 Ford Truck Alternators