1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f-250 longbed plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by anthonyr, Dec 3, 2006.

1. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

I have been using a walk behind snow blower and a shovel for the last 2 years. I was thinking about plowing in my truck next year. Not really sure if a plow on my '96 f-250 longbed would work. Does anyone know about this? I talked to someone who said the wheel base is too long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Reg cab w/8' bed? That's a perfect truck. Grab a 7.5 or 8 foot blade and go to town.

3. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

thanks

thank you for the info. it's a reg. cab w/ an 8 ft. bed. 7.5 liter, v-8.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I assume it's a 4x4. Sounds like a good truck to me. Any plow brand makes a mount for that truck. It's your choice now. Read all the plow brand sections and maybe that will help you decide. Have fun.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Do yourself a favor now and don't ask on what plow we would recommend as it always turns into a Fisher Vs. Boss. Vs. Western Vs. Meyer Vs. Diamond Vs. Bilzzard battle!! just read about each one, and make your decision based on that.

6. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

I really appreciate the time you guys took to awnser my question. there is a boss dealership here in kalispell, haven't seen too many different type's of plows. i'll probably try to find a used one. thanks again

7. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Don't forget to figure on several hundred pounds of ballast weight. I use about 550 lbs of solid concrete blocks set over the axles right between the wheel houses.

I do not use any additional equipment on my '98 Chevy K2500 reg cab/long bed for my 7.5 ft straight blade other than Timbren rubber springs in the front. If you plan on night plowing, you may need a larger alternator. The biggest battery that fits in very good condition in any case.

Good Luck

8. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I have a truck like this a 94 F250 but with only the 5.8 and it works great for me I just wish I had the 7.5.

I would get the 8 foot blade I think the 7.5 at full angle would be to short.

Good luck.

9. gpfarrell

gpfarrell Junior Member

I have a '97 F250HD... basically same truck as yours.

Mine's an extended cab long bed, 460 - 5-speed. 7.5' Western Plow.

The truck is very capable of handling my 1000' foot driveway.

Bright back-up lights are a must, and you might consider aux. rear lights.

I don't have a any ballast... my truck weighs 6000 lbs, and with a gas engine instead of the heavier diesel, I don't think it's too front heavy.

PS... I didn't buy the truck just to plow, I bought it becasue it can plow as well as do lots of other things. I like my 7.5' blade because its a bit easier to handle and I'm not clearing parking lots. Get a blade that fits your needs & your wallet.

10. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

Wow, thanks for the helpful responses!!

11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

From my perspective, stick with a plow brand that has a local service shop. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the middle of winter with a busted plow and the nearest support is 150 miles away.

I think all the major brands are good enough to get the job done...each brand has its own thing that makes brand loyalists point out why their preferred brand is the best, but in reality you want a sturdy plow that you can put on and take off your truck easily and can be easily serviced.

12. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I also have a 96 F250 with the 7.5 ltr, regular cab with and 8' box. It is an awesome plow truck and pretty much will go through anything. I agree with the post above, get some back up lights so you can see what is behind you. I have mine rigged up on my truck tool boxes so that I don't brake them off if I was to back into a pile of snow.

13. QCS

QCS Junior Member

Just installed an 8' Boss Super Duty straight blade on my 94 F250 (5.8). The front end barely sags, it is a Super Duty. If your mechanically inclined, save yourself $400-500 and put it on yourself. Oh, I also have a SnowEx 575 spreader on the back with usually 1500 lbs. of calcium/salt.

14. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

bhj snow, how much ballast weight do you use in your truck - thanks for the info, by the way

15. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Ballast for the 96 F250

anthonyr,

In regards to ballast for you truck. It depends on the weight of you plow. I have a Fisher Conventional Heavy Duty 8' with some extra's. I don't know the actual weight but I have been told its around 600 - 700 pounds. Someday I will hit a scale and get it weighed. I usually put about 500 pounds of sand (tubes) towards the rear of the truck. In addition to the weight of my toolboxes. I would guess I have around 600 pounds when added up.

Depending on the plow you get or have, you would want to offset the weight of the front in the back of the truck.

I hope this helps,

BJH Snow

16. anthonyr

anthonyr Junior Member
    from montana

Thanks, that helps out a great deal.

17. Oxmow

Oxmow Senior Member

Loooong truck

I also have a 96 model Ford. Though mine is a longbed F-350 crewcab. 5 speed with a 7.5 liter. It is a bit long and it requires knowing the limits of the truck but i have plowed postage stamp lots like banks with drive throughs as well as Walmart size lots with it.

Oh and it is lifted 8.5 inches with hummer tires on it!

18. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

I've been using 96 250 for the past 3 years, it has a 7'6 western no ballast works great. I'll try to get some pics up here.

19. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Good truck to plow with. Buy one, and go get payup