1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F-250 For Plowing and Salt Spreading

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bill QT, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Bill QT

Bill QT Junior Member
    from NC

I just read one of the post where members were bashing each other pretty good about being over weight on a 05 Chevy. I have a 96 F-250 that I would like to put an 8 ft Meyer plow on and a TGS06 Salt Dogg on. The Dogg is supposed to hold 806 lb of salt plus, it weighs under 200 lbs. I would also like to carry some extra salt in the bed. What do members think. And, yes I am a newbie, as one of the members replied on the other post. Thanks Bill. PS, I have added 2 springs to each side of the rear end, if that matters.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It will work just fine in your truck.

3. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Be sure you tires are up to the task. I'd recommend a D or higher load rating, and Load Index in the 90-100 range. They probably are unless someone put really cheap suv tires on it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 94 F-250 that carries a Boss V-blade. Everything on the truck held up well except for the front end. It had the TTB and the drivers side was always cracking. I know the Boss is heavy but I think I would have had problems with any plow I put on it.

I had plans to do a solid axle swap but never got around to it.

It has been said, but really pay attention to your tires. Find some E rated tires if possible. Don't let the tires be the weak link.

With the blade, spreader and a full load of salt, I scale out at around 13,000. The truck handles it fine but I am within 600 lbs of capacity on the tires. I see a dually in my future.

5. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

you'll be fine. I agree with the tires we used load range E or 10 ply but we were caring a lot of weight.