1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f 250 4x4 noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by scuba875, Jan 30, 2005.

1. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Hi guys I just bought this truck in Dec and I am working the problems out one by one and these are the next on the list.

When I put my truck into 4H and am plowing in makes a squeaking noise that is consistent with the speed of the truck. I can take it out of 4H and put it in 2H and no more noise even with the hubs still locked.

I also notice that in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel when sitting still and I turn the wheel left or right I get a similar squeaking noise. I can't seem to get the truck to go into 4L either. I don't know if these are part of the same problem or not.

I was looking at the front end this week at my friends shop and the u-joints were rusty but when I turned the drive shaft by hand they didn't make any noise and there was no play that I could feel. I have been plowing in 2 wheel as much as possible for fear of breaking something.

My question is what do you guys think the problem could be and if you think you know the cause is it a big job? If I do decide to take it in to a mechanic is this going to be a big hit repair or am I better off doing it myself? I don't mind spending the money but I have never had to have the front end fixed on a 4x4 before and have no idea what to expect. I'm not asking for to much am I LOL.

Thanks
    Pat

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  2. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

I have the exact same problem...Same year and everthing....So i hope someone has some answers. I checked all the same as you did. I hate to take it to a garage $$$$, because i can do mechanical work, just need help diagnosing.

3. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I get frustrated working on vehicles. I can fix about anything and repair 500,000 dollar rides for a living but when it comes to trucks I don't know what it is I get a little apprehensive about digging into them. I would like to do it myself and save the cash but I also have to look at down time. I wouldn't want to have the front end torn apart and then get snow.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

If it was constant with vehicle speed , doesnt change when transmission shifts , and you dont here it when you put it back in 2wd. I would have to say its in the transfer case. Have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case?? I dont know if you haved owned a ford or not before , but i do believe you have to push the lever down(into the floor) to get into 4wd low.Just trying too help but thats what im thinking..

5. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i don't think you would hear any squeling from a chain driven t-case but it ccould happen...have you checked to see if something is rubbing, lik emaybe somthing on the t-case shifter to the body? If it isn't there in 4lo and also when hubs are locked (since that is still turning the axles and driveshaft) i would elimante the driveshaft and axle which leaves something at the t-case....worse case would be to tear apart the t-case and see if everthign looks good, could be a needle bearing taking a dump.

It took me 30 mins to have the t-case out of my truck and all apart. Or you could jsut pick up a good one froma scrapyard and swap it in....

BTW your t-case needs ATF, if something heaveir used it trashes the bearins...

6. ltlm

ltlm Member

regards 96 f250

is you front end straight or wisbone? as far as the shiter you have to push down on the shift knop and slide left and back fo 4 low if you cant do that then its prolly coroaded and youll have to take it apart.always use pb-blaster great stough find at walmart or any part store.

7. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys I am going to drop the transfer case out tomorrow and see whats up. I love PB that stuff is the best. The front is wish-boned a little. I noticed it the other day I jacked the front up and the tires seem to level back out vertically with no weight on them. It ticks me off because every time I start to plan to dig into it there is snow in the forecast like two days later.

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

One thing to check while your under ther is where the front i beams mount to the frame. there are two brackets that mount to the frame and four bolts. The bolts will get lose with time and make the front end jump around. mine kept coming lose untill i replaced the nuts with new locking nuts.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

DRY U joints on the front drive shaft may be the problem with the 4 high noise. or dry front axle U joints. If you change them try to take the old ones with you, they have not got the right ones yet for me out of the computer listings. Check all the fluids in the pumpkin and transfer case they will lose some over time.

10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

If it were me, I would find out if it is in the front axle or transfer case before yanking the transfer case out. My 99 superdookie had a front end noise as described and I found out they have axle bearings. Might not have them on your older ford. If not, the axle u-joints are looking very suspicious since it is only in 4x4. That is not a hard job. If you have any mechanical ability you can do it. If you need some confidence booster, go buy a Haynes or Chilton's manuel and look at the section on axles before you try it. It shouldn't be too hard. Good luck. As for no 4xlow? I don't know what to tell you except the corroded linkage sounds like a good possibility or just a tired transfer case. I would not suspect the fluids in the differential to be low. They don't "use" oil. If it is low, it is leaking somewhere or whoever changed it last didn't top it off all the way. I wouldn't worry about no 4xlow. I never use it. Never needed to in any of my fords, Chevy or Dodges except one year when we got 3" of ice which forced us to use our trucks as bulldozers rather than snowplow vehicles. Everyone broke a lot of trucks and plows that year. Good luck!

11. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the replies. Well I was at the shop working on it yesterday from 8 am until 11:30 last night. Not just on the front end but I got going and got as much done on my list as I could.

I lubed the front up real good and that got rid of the squeaking noise while turning the wheel while sitting still. I had taken into the mechanic when I purchased it and told him to check all fluids, change the oil, lube, and fix the brakes. He only changed the oil and the brakes so I'm not real happy with the guy. The front end grease points were all dry and the anti freeze was low.

I checked the fluid level in the transfer case and it was ok. As far as not going into 4L it was just froze up. I took the boot off and sprayed it down with some PB and after a little while it is working ok.

I still have the noise but I didn't change out the U-Joints. That will be my next trip to the shop.

It's strange but I didn't have any of these problems until after I took it to this guys shop for an initial check up. My tires were all under pressure by 40lbs. I know when I first drove it home they were all at 80 because I checked them. It is almost like the guy let the air out thinking they were over inflated or looking to sell a set of tires. It was just enough that looking at them you couldn't notice they weren't at the right psi. It almost looks like the front end was degreased because I can't imagine it being that dry and I also never had the squeaking before it went to his shop. I am a little ticked off but what are you going to do. I got everything lubed up and will move on but I will not take anything to him again.

12. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I would agree that it's the axle ujoints under a load they are probably seized up or about to.
    Is there any shaking under load?
    While it's in 4x4 and you put in neutral while moving will the squeaking stop?

Good luck.

13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

You need a different mechanic. I can highly recommend Clutch Masters in Lake in the Hills. No I do not work there, Tell Stu, Gregg sent you there. We won't be getting any snow all week,so its a good time to tear into it. Yeah I know its a ways away but I go there from Rockford. A good shop is hard to come by.

14. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Thanks Greg, It's not that far at all. I am going to be in Florida Next week for a trade show for my summer business so I will give them a call and see if I can get it in while I am out of town.

Thanks
    Patrick

15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a F250 with the Dana 50 front axle, you should go over the whole front end. I waited too long on mine, and ended up spending some good money on new parts. I'd definitely have both of the front wheel bearings pulled and repacked, or replaced. Oh, if it is the Dana 50, sorry to hear that. These front ends run through ball joints like it is going out of style.

16. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Ford put d50;s under all f250's 19880 up to the 98 before the super duty came out

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, but he didn't specify in his post if he had a 250 or 350. 350's have the Dana 60. I guess I could have figured it out. Looking at his avatar, the sagging front end looks like a 250.

18. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Look at the very first post just under the title in bold print.
    lol we all miss the little things once in a while.