1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 f 250 4wd problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by biggtruck, Dec 12, 2004.

1. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

My floor mounted transfer case shift knob is very sloppy. At first it engaged into 4wd very hard "shifter very stiff". I disengaged in 2wd, now the shifter is very sloppy wont shift at all!! Is there a linkage i may have broke? Or is it internal? Not much money in the budget (christmas) so i hope its an easy fix. Any help or suggestions would be helpfull. I think its a np 208????
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You need to get under truck and see if problem is in linkage or internal in xfer case. Also I assume the Tcase has been properly serviced lube wise?
  3. proshare

proshare Member

Its an easy fix. There is a vertical aluminum tube with a internal shaft.
    It's bolted to the side of the trans & your 4wd shifter is connected to that & has to turn & slide up/down in the tube.
    The tube dries out, Then the aluminum corrodes and the shaft seizes & then breaks.
    You have to replace the whole tube as an assembly and if I recall its aprox $100.
    Perhaps your linkages just came apart, but thats unlikely. Have someone move the shifter while you look at the tube on the trans & you'll see whats what.

**you can put it into 4wd manually and leave it engaged from underneath.
  4. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

Thanks Proshare I will investigate tomorrow.
  5. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Mine is broken to.the t-case is a borg Warner 1356.