1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 F-150 rear suspension

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Polarisrider, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

On a 96 F-150 4x4, reg cab long box, will F-350 leaf springs from the same year range fit on this truck?

Looking to add a flatbed for sealcoating this summer and want to beef up the rear suspension.

2. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

Did you ever get an answer or try it on that truck? I have a 97 i'm considering the same type of setup for a sander. Thanks.

3. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I don't believe that they will, however if you take a tape measure from bolt hole to bolt hole as well as the width of the spring and see if the match up then go for it. I would recommend a set of timbrens rather than the cost of springs.

4. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

we posted the same question on a f-150 forum. And basically we would have to replace the whole rear end, inlcuding axle, leafs, brakes and a bunch of other things. So we are going to replace the truck with a F-350 for our seal coating setup

5. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

heart -- shattered LOL.
    Perhaps you can just add leafs ?

Maybe the rules change with a plasma cutter and welder :)
    I'm just looking for a 1000' driveway truck essentially. Thoughts ?

6. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

HTS style plow and a tailgate spreader on a F150

7. hightop

hightop Member

80-96 F150's have 2 1/2" wide springs I'm pretty sure, 250's & 350's have 3" springs, so you'd have to change the hangers. 97's I don't know about, the 150's and light 250's are a newer generation that year, and I'm not familiar with them.

8. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

Cool info..I'll change my 97 as necessary to make it do the job reliably.... I'm pulling the plow off my 88 which seems to be hacked together fisher speedcast(is this MM1?)...except this one has been angle iron welded and tied into the transmission cross member. I will probably just make something that mounts to the bottom of the frame rails w/ square channel steel....we'll see, I have to pull it off first. Sorry off topic there.... I gotta start getting my learn on about the different plows and how they work. Great info tho !!

9. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Have you looked into a set of helper springs? We added a set to our '99 F150 and it was pretty easy. Able to haul a tank with about 350 gallons of water now.

10. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

cost ? Sounds easy enough too w/ no fabricating ! good news on the water weight !

11. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Less than $200, we ordered from sdtrucksprings.com.

Took 2 guys 2 hous to install.

12. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Go to a real spring shop and see about getting a set made. I had priced it for my F150 before upgrading to a F350 and the place I talked to was rather reasonable.
    Chad