1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 dully power stroke angry

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nor'easter1, Feb 26, 2005.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

One of the trucks in my fleet and one of the most dependable until recently is my 96 power stroke dully. Last three storms have had to take her out of action on what my shop guys thought was a tranny problem. Had her checked out by a local ford dealer, and private contractor and they say it is in great shape. Has 9 ft plow and 2 yd hopper on board. Sometimes when plowing reverse fails unless you rev it up to 3000 rpm's then kicks in. Also when traveling on road seems like it is always in wrong gear given it is a automatic. When we took tranny cover off magnet had allot of metal on her but I guess that is good. Just put new alternator in her last week, flushed tranny juice and checked all wiring. One of my guys thinks it is a radiator issue. Back in summer one of my employees left her in neutral and she rolled 15 ft into a tree crusing the front bumper. Replaced bumper but noticed not allot of vents in bumper allowing air in. But all summer we towed bobcat or something else with her. I wish this was a blown tranny so I could replace ti and use it with out these breakdowns, please advise thanks

2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

What did they do to check the tranny? That sure sounds like a torque converter. Do you have to wait a long time before it will take off when you first start it up? If your torque converter is bad, it will lose fluid and not take off until it fills back up with fluid. This would be in drive too.
    How is it a good thing that there is a lot of metal found with a magnet? I am not a mechanic, but we have broken our share of equipment and that does not sound very good. A little metal I could see as being wear and tear, but not a ton.
    The other thing is 3000RPM? THat is getting up there for a diesel to rev. Even on a gasser, I would not want to rev an engine that high before it drops into gear unless it was a totally built drag car with a stall converter. THat is a lot of hard hits on the entire drivetrain when it drops in gear and takes off. I don't know what to tell you if the dealer and private mechanic haven't found anything, but I would try someone else until they find a problem. 3000rpm hits are going to cost you a rear end, driveshaft, or at least some u-joints. Good luck finding your problem.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I work on an ambulance 40 +hours a week. We had a unit that did the exact thing 1996 E-350. It drove me nuts! Pull up and go to back up, all the strobes and lights lit, people watching you. It would not go into reverse BEEP bEEEp! Rev, Rev then BANG it reversed. The mechanics told me till it failed there was nothing they could do!
    It was internal problem.

4. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

lights,sanders

Thanks for the input. My thinking given bad weather is com ming is to disconnect the sander and all wires. I think it is tripping the computer and from what I understand shorting the tranny. The metal shavings are not good, but at least thee magnet is doing the job. What do you think.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think disconnecting your wiring is going to do anything, unless somehow your wiring is really weird. Try going to this website. "www.thedieselstop.com" Go to the 94-97 psd forums and start off with a search. Those guys know that tranny up and down and someone should be able to steer you in the right direction.