1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 dodge tranny problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by kman67rsss, Jan 18, 2009.

1. kman67rsss

kman67rsss Junior Member
    from NH

Ive got a 96 1500 ram with the 5,2 and i believe a 46rh tranny. its my plow truck. anyways i was pushing snow tonight and went into a pile a little harder then intended. when i tried to back out i couldn't move. truck would push forward a little but no reverse. pulled it out with my d'max and tried again. truck would drive forward but will just barley creep backwards. if you give it any throttle the engine just rev's, no increase in speed. in help/suggestions on what to look into would be appreciated. gonna check the fluid, and external linkages in the morning. just parked it tonight cause i was pissed off at it. didnt want to deal with it.

2. Sounds like you blew the reverse gear in your tranny.
    Going to be an expensive fix for you...

3. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

if it moving forward like normaly did and just not backing up more then likely broke something in one way clutch, for reverse

it is by no means a at home or jobber fix.

sorry

4. kman67rsss

kman67rsss Junior Member
    from NH

Thats what i expected to hear, just not what i wanted to hear. i would have thought that reverse would have broken while backing up, not driving forward. If that is the problem its probally cheaper to change it with a scrap yard unit then repair this one

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont get a bone yard tranny. Get that one fixed properly. 46re are not that pricey to rebuild or to buy a complete reman.

6. kman67rsss

kman67rsss Junior Member
    from NH

looks loke the reverse band let go. we are getting parts and will be doing it wednesday night.

7. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

My tranny did that and it drove fine in forward, took it to the shop, reverse band and hammer were shot and forward clutches were toast. 1800 dollars later.....

8. damian

damian Senior Member

your low reverse band failed,if you drive forward 15mph and put it in manual low and you dont get engine braking thats the proof.

9. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

I had the reverse band break (sounded like a metal rubber band) while back dragging in Dec. Had tranny rebuilt and have been fighting leaks since. Tranny shop will be getting another call tomorrow as I found it leaking again this weekend when we got another couple inches of snow to move.