1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 Dodge Tranny Problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodge rammin, Nov 23, 2006.

1. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I have a 96 Ram 1500 4x4 reg cab long box with 99,600 miles on it. It has developed a transmission problem after the meticulous care that has been taken of it. It is fine when shifting into second gear, however around 20-25 mph when it is supposed to shift into third it seems to slip or stick - it will shift but sometimes the rpm's kick up and then it shifts. Everything works fine except that issue with third gear - all other gears work good and the torque converter locks up as good as it always has. I always come to complete stops before shifting and I have it power flushed once per year. I can't figure it out and the dealer is next to useless on the situation - their theory is put a reman in it if it has a problem. I know it can be fixed if I had a clue of what it needs. It has only been very very lightly plowed with for two seasons and has pulled a trailer once and a while - nothing major though. Basically I am just looking for some input from those of you that have some more time under your belt than me. HELP! Thanks!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Have you ever had the bands adjusted??

Have you had the tranny flushed and the fluid changed?

P.s. watch the dealer, they tried to install a used tranny with 32k in my truck in stead of a remanufactured one..

There stance was. What's the problem with it we will warranty it...:dizzy: .....

I said No Way! Am I going to have a used tranny installed!!!!

Get a remanufactured one..... after that I took it to another dealer and got the
    remanufactured one....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  3. moosey

moosey Senior Member

Your trans is gone or going. Mine did same thing, time for rebuild.

Dont ever do one of those quick oil change transmission services. All it does is take old fluid out and put new in. Filter needs to be changed too! But not only that, all the crap in the fluid or pan doesn't come out just stays in there and creates a problem down the road.

4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Rebuild it. Then make sure you have a tranny cooler, and run only synthetic oil. Makes all the difference in the world.

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Before you waste your money on a rebuild. Go out and buy some lucas tranny fix. It will get you through the winter and stop the slipping. So then either start saving for a tranny or trade it in. But 100k is all you get out of the 47re or 47rh. But that stuff works. I got another 25k out of mine after adding it. And my tourqe convertor was blown also. I finally got sick of no low end power because of blown TC. I brought it in and had it rebuilt

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you have a shop near you have yours rebuilt- a reman is overpriced for a dealer to install it.

I wonder the same questions- I will go with the tranny needing a rebuild, but I wonder how meticulously the fluid and filter was changed and the bands adjusted.
    I also question if you drive with the OD turned off when plowing and towing?
    the OD is simply the 3rd gear band. By engaging the band on the 3rd gear drum they make it a 4 speed- or overdrive.

that's typical symptoms of a diesel ram that has been driven in OD all the time (you need to turn OD off in that generation diesel's unless your driving over 45mph consistantly- like on a highway due to the line pressure and shift points- or rebuild the tranny at around 100K because of the 3 high band)

Adjust the bands #1, Lucas #2 and start looking for a rebuild shop.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Wouldn't it make more sense to have it looked at and rebuilt now if it needs it? Rather than hoping the Lucas will get it through the winter and then it goes out in the middle of a snow storm?

Take it in to a reputable tranny shop, have them take a look at it and go from there.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yeah. Nothing sucks more than putting the truck in the shop in season, because it will snow as soon as they have the tranny out of the truck:jester:
    I meant my last post in a short time frame- as in a week or so, not waiting till spring. Like get under there today and adjust the bands, find a shop to check it out and if it's going to be a time before they can get it in or before you can find one drp in the lucas.

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Look up Goerend Bros. transmissions in IA. they are arguably the best in the nation for DCX trannies.

10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

He has a 1/2 ton gasser not a CTD. So I would think a 5k in out of the question

11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

They build for gassers as well diesels. They are better priced compared to their competition i.e. ATS, & DTT. Try Suncoast as well for another good option.