1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 Dodge Ram 1500.. Sufficient for Pushing??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FireRescue462, Jan 29, 2015.

1. FireRescue462

FireRescue462 Junior Member

Hello,

Recently I have purchased a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext Cab, 5.2L gasjob. The truck itself sits high. I have been using it for my lawn maintenance company for the few months prior to winter (hauling my equipment from 1 site to another). This year, I have considered throwing a plow on the truck to make some extra cash for the winter. As some background, the truck has basically new everything, transmission, joints, (literally almost everything) so runs extremely strong. Just wondering if anyone plows with a second-gen ram 1500 or if anyone knows if it is suffient enough and worth the purchase. It does not have a plow prep package either, so I would have to install an entire system. Truck frame and axels are great. Any information would help. Thanks.

Edit: Truck already has 6 way strobes and overhead mini orange lightbar :) :mechanic:

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There will be naysayers, but if you only take on small accounts and\or driveways, you will be just fine.

I can't remember that far back, so I really don't know what the plow prep package included back then, but I doubt you have to do "everything".

What gear ratio does it have? That was the only thing wrong with ours, they were way too high. With plows and in snow, I ran it in second gear on the road because otherwise it would be constantly shifting from 2 to 3.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've seen plenty of second generation Dodges with plows, and they seem to handle them just fine. Great for residential, and will work for commercial as long as you stay up on your maintenance. My question is this though, if you're not already plowing, and you plan on putting a plow on now, where do you plan on "making your extra money" as you stated? Pretty late in the game to be trying to find accounts for this season.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It a better platform than a durango.

the plow prep.
    high output alt
    power steering cooler.
    larger transmission cooler
    skid plate.

You can also easily install a new set of front springs, to help hold your plow up.

but if you stick to a light weight 8ft plow you will be fine.
    and get at least a 8.5ft plow.

5. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I've got the same truck it pushes very well. I do commercial. And the only way to get a snowplow prep package was to order a 2500 and the difference was a few options bigger alternator hd clutch fan. They all came with ps coolers and all had skid plates they dont use leaf springs up front. They use coil springd. The last guy the posted was wrong I know these things and these trucks inside and out as I was a dodge mechanic until 13 year's ago as I work for the government as a mechanic and we still use these vehicle's today

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

You will be fine

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sorry but the so called tech is wrong,not all rams ie dodge don't come with skid plates or the aux power steering cooler or the larger transmission cooler cupped with the cooler in the radiator.

They are options always have been.
    Go look it up.....
    So for a tech you don't know much.

As I said you can install stiffer front springs, a coil spring is a spring
    And I have installed coil springs on the Ram a few times
    So I know exactly what I'm talking about.
    Even leaf springs on older dodges

Funny thing ,the so called techs at ram don't know the truck as well as you would think.

I've been working on dodges for well over 30 years.:waving:

We have 3 Rams .... That and $2 will get ya a cup of Timmy's

8. rjigto4oje

I've probably forgot more about these trucks than you'll ever know. Ever single 4 x4 had a skid plate as ive done trans work all day long. So know what you are talking about don't believe everything you see on the internet

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Then go look it up
    It's also listed on the build sheet as a option

The first pic is from a plow prep truck or what dodge calls the plow grope
    And or just a skid-plate option.

The 2nd is of a Ram with out the option.

image.jpg

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

2nd pic

Whhhaaattt no skid plate, but they all come with them......
    Both 4x4 both 2500's
    :laughing:I guess you forgot more than I know.

image.jpg

11. rjigto4oje

Looks like u got screwed every 4 x 4 ive seen had skid plates so. Go find the guy that took yours. I was at the junk yard today underneath looking for parts and wouldn't you know it every single one had skid plate so it sound like you got screwed more than once imagine that

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Nope didn't get screwed, i just didn't buy the option.
    I guess you haven't worked on as many of them as you think you have?

But more importantly
    Seeing as you were gunn'en for me is
    That your just plain old wrong.

:waving:

Back to the op's question.

13. rjigto4oje

Nope just facts no worries back to the original post you're going to be just fine with that truck

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The facts are
    1 a skid plate is a option
    2 it is also,part of a group of options
    3 rjgto4oje is not as right as he believes
    4. Don't believe what he posts on the Internet
    These are facts that you yourself can easily verify .
    5 not all 4x4 2500 come with a skid-plate.

You'll be fine plowing for a while.
    A lot depends on what you plow how you plow and time constraints.
    Time or lack of it can be hard on a truck.

15. rjigto4oje

The facts are when you order a truck you can get it anyway you want. You can believe me or a tree hugger. And thats a fact

16. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Hello Welcome to the plowsite. :waving: Your truck will be fine. Dodges are the best plow trucks . Everybody knows that. They plow better than any other brand........:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

17. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I have one - I went through both hubs, a spindle and simple replaced with HD, changed shocks and upgrade coils and added Timbrens...does great. Just treat her right...with to with out a skid plate!!!

18. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I'm just tossing this out there.... Called my cousin with a 4x4 97 1500, no skid plate.

Op the truck will handle smaller plows well and push snow no problem just don't beat on it

19. shaffecv

shaffecv Junior Member

Been plowing with a 97 1500 ext. cab short bed since 2002.
    318, 5 speed it did ok with the stock 3.55 ratios but after purchasing an enclosed race trailer in 2004 I had 4.10 installed. What a difference !
    Meyer 71/2 foot with E-60 pump, did install Timbrens with the plow.

I purchased the truck brand new in 1997, never had a skid plate.

20. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

i got a 98 dodge ram 1500 5.2 engine 4x4 and auto tranny , with a hiniker 8ft scoop plow . it plows just fine . just be sure to brake before shifting to reverse gear and same for forward . other wise you will break the servo pistions in tranny