1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 Dodge Camper special with a western pro plow?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cannonball, Jan 6, 2011.

1. cannonball

cannonball Junior Member
    from PA

My question is do I need to upgrade to a 2500 suspension to carry this plow. My uncle gave it to me and would like to get it working. The truck is a 5 speed 5.2 liter. I am only going to plow my driveway and my shops lot and that is pretty much it but it is a 12 mile trip to the shop. I read a few post of guys saying the front axle is not rated for that kind of weight. I was wondering if anyone knew if the heavy half I have has a heavier axle or the suspension will handle it? I don't want to be unsafe on the road with it let alone in my driveway. Thanks

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

What size pro plow? 7.5' or 8' sure no problem...9' not recommended. I believe all the camper special package was an overload spring in the rear. Front axles were all the same as far as I know. I also don't believe they did camper specials on the 1500's. Good luck to you

3. cannonball

cannonball Junior Member
    from PA

I will have to double check but I think it is a 8 foot. I was just thinking I will have to check the tag under the hood. I know that they came with dana 44's in the front on the 1500. According to westerns's web site the plow weights around 800 lb's without the mount. That was my concern the axle. I don't plan on driving like a mad man or plowing at high speeds. Thanks for your input.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Might be on the outer limits WRT weight. A smaller less commercial blade would be the right choice for your truck.