1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 Diesel Fuel Leak Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ole Tower, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I have a 96 thats leaking Fuel in the Rear of the injector Pump w/the Full explanation under Mods I tried to explain I was NOT attempting to Steal anther members Thread & being New to Diesels & desperate! SORRY again!! SARG heres my Problem! my fuel leak is on the END of the Injector Pump? where the fuel lines seperate at the round piece where both lines GO to the Rear of valve covers what I need to Know? is the Exact Size? of the Bolt & once I remove IT & re-place the Washers! Touque would be nice to know! Also!--Do I have to Bleed my entire Fuel System? & I being NEW at this Diesel thing! any Pro info Appricated! Thanks!--OleTower--

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Since you have a 1996 ( 92-97 body style are commonly known as OBS trucks, short for Old Body Style) your engine is a powerstroke (PSD) they do not have injection pumps. The pump you describe is a lift pump, it supplies fuel to a common fuel "rail" in each head. It is a low pressure pump only about 40-60 PSI compared to a injection pump. The nut you said is leaking is 1 1/4" you will need to bend your wrench for it to fit. I don't know of anybody who makes a designated wrench for this nut. If you have the California emissions version PSD then the turbo will need to be removed to access the nut because the pump is different. I honestly don't know the torque off hand as I just tighten them until I feel it is tight. You will not need to purge the air from the fuel system, it is capable of self purging and will not air lock like inj. pump systems do.

3. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

THANKS Gregg for Your INFO! as I*M New to the small Diesel Scene You as a Diesel Man will Laugh at this? I have had several Big Diesels in my life time--I prefer CATS--as they have a Hand Pump where the others Don*t! yrs Ago I had a DETROIT that Ran out of Fuel! I spent all one afternoon? Bleeding It--You can Laugh now!--I got the Aliminum washers kinda Cheap? looking? I tried to locate Copper Washers! So I*LL look Tommorrow as week ends every bodys Closed! I was Wondering?? about installing a 4 inch Exuaust?--from the head pipe back & Up in the Passangers side of the Bed! Big Rig Chrome Stack curved Out at the TOP! my Truck Runs GOOD but the Fuel Milage is NOT all that GREAT? as other PSD Guys have mentioned! as mines a Daily Driver & I haul my twin axled Car trailer w/ a Car on it once in a while or Will as Soon as I build a Good Rugged Hitch for IT! it has 4-10 Gears & 235-80-16 New Rubber all round as soon as I can afford It?--I*LL order & install a windsheild Post POD w/ BOOST--PYRO & Trany TEMP can YOU suggest? ways? I can increase my Fuel Milage? --THANKS Agin!--OleTower--

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The best thing for these engines is a free flowing intake and exhaust. The OBS trucks had a terrible design for the air box, it does not seal well to the filter, no matter whose filter you use. I would get an open element air intake, but NOT one with an oiled gauze filter such as a K&N they don't work well on a turbo diesel. Arguably the best intake system out there is by Tymar Performance. Look them up on the internet and give them a call, he is a very nice guy to do business with. His uses a Donaldson dry paper, water repellent filter, it is used in marine and some Cummins applications. As far as going to a larger exhaust I think it would help as well, 4" is a good size any larger that that does nothing more other than look big. You should change out the down pipe that comes off the turbo to a 3 or 3.5", the stock pipe is very restrictive.The tires on your truck are rather small in diameter considering your gear ratio. I run 235/85/16 in the winter for snow plowing and I have 3.73 gears and it revs pretty high on the highway. You might want to consider a gear change to lower the rpm's I know there are some guys running somehting like a 3.08 gear or close to it, and claiming low to mid 20 mpg. But I bet they don't tow anything with those gears. In summer I use 285/75/16 and I get a little better mileage due to lower RPM. Next get a DP Tuner chip, he has some economy programs that work better than anything else I've seen. Also when you get the pyro mount it pre-turbo. When city driving keep the EGT below 600*F it will yield the best MPG. On the highway keep the rpm's below 2000 for best economy. I think with your 4.11 gears you can easily go to a 285/75 tire and get better MPG due to lower rpm's. No one modification will give a large increase in MPG but several little gains will all add up. The claims by companies of 5-10 mpg gain are total BS, the best I have seen in person is a 2 mpg gain by DP Tuner.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  5. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

THANKS Greeg I wrote all your Suggestions Down & will Check w/ Tymar & the DP tuner chip Thanks again--OleTower--& I*LL look around & price the Big rubber! --& keep You posted on as I collect my Stuff! & get ready to Install IT

6. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

GREEG I tried Tymar & it was under Construction I will try again in a few Days! THANKS-OleTower--

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

ggg6, when did they switch from common rail to injection?? what about the otr trucks, are they still common rail or did they swithch to?

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The old IDI engines 6.9 and 7.3L all had injection pumps, The PSD 94.5+ did away with the injection pump by utilizing HEUI injectors. I use the term rail loosely because it is a pseudo common rail. It is low pressure unlike true common rail which has high pressures. On the HEUI injectors the high pressure needed for injection is done inside the injector itself. The low fuel pressure "rail" is only supplying fuel to the injector.
    As far as OTR it all depends on whose engine we are talking about. CAT designed the HEUI injection system we are talking about here, and yes they use it extensively in OTR engines. Cummins uses a common rail on some models as does other engine mfg.'s.

10. Jay brown

i've got an old 1989 IHC with the natural asp 7.3 @ 155hp. does this mean i could have the pump "turned up" to gain some hp? i need the extra hp for what i'm using it for. turbo will probably come later on. thanks for all your info

11. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Thanks GUYS the Fuel Leak has been Fixed!! --OleTower--

12. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Jay- yes you can have your pump turned up and the timing advanced to get a little more power. You are limited due to how much air it can pull in since it is a n/a diesel. You need to use the right equipment and gages to know just how far you can go. Merely guessing or trying to tell by how much smoke it makes is the wrong way to do it, and can result in a damaged engine in short order.
    Ole T- glad you got that fuel leak issue resolved.

13. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Ggg6 I Dono? but after seeing JAY w/ 669 Post I think? giving JAY HELL! for HiJacking my Thread is in ORDER! like You Did ME! as FAIR is FAIR--{RIGHT??} --OleTower--

14. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Yeah jayb you ought to know better. :nono: :D ;) : ;)

15. Jay brown

sorry boys.....ggg6 had some useful info and i was overly excited to learn more about the IDI 7.3. wont let it happen again!!!