1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 cummis throttle stuck

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Jul 3, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

fig this out... if u start the motor, and step on the gas, the throttle sticks??? if u shut the truck off , returns back to normal position ?? it is not the cable, i disconnected it..it is also not the trans cable,....its disconnected... I soaked it with oil....WD 40 , PN blaster....nothing , still sticking

anyone else have this problem?
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Since it stops when you turn they key off I'd guess it's the throttle position sensor, if you have a repair manual it should give the procedure to test it.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My 2001 did the same thing it ended up being the Throttle Position Sensor...Downside it was a $500.00 part and non returnable!
  4. elite1msmith

from chicago

nope, not the sensor, its something in lever which is connected to the injection pump, because , once it sticks, if you reach down a lightly touce it , every thing goes back to normal,... for now , i put a small bungey cord, on it..lol beleive it or not, works perfect....

it weird at the end of that arm, is a spot that looks lik eit should have a spring to help the return...but i just looked on my 94 cummis, and it doesnt have a spring there either ...
  5. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Dodge has a recall out on the 94 - 97.5 12V motors for the throtle linkage rusting and seizing up. take it to the dealer and have them replace the whole linkage at no cost to you. just had it done 2 years ago on my 97.
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

my linkage was replaced a few yrs back i think

we took the entire think apart, and its something to due closer to the pump. the linkage is free , so is the movemnt arm and ball joints.... i sprayed it down with PB blaster, and attached on of those small bungy cords for now, just to help the return , so the truck could be driven. this truck sat around a bit, and gets less than 6000 miles per year now, so a little binding rust might be the problem, a light finger's touch on the lever will casue it to snap back to idle , so the little bungy did the trick for now

CHRISTIANS INC Junior Member
    from ne pa

return springs could be the problem
  8. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Check the solenoid on your AFC or register at dodgediesel.org, there are alot of guys on there that REALLY know their stuff.
  9. matzke3

matzke3 Member

Return springs breaking is very common on the mechanical Cummins. A cheap hardwae store one will do the trick.