1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 chevy half ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 09dieselguy, Aug 29, 2010.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

what kind of weight do you think this truck could handle if i were to put timbren and 3/4/ 1 ton bars in the front of it. im tinking with the idea of putting my 9.2 poly v on it and see what it does. but i wouldnt think about doing such a think with out the tibren first and maybe the swap in bars if it could handle it. the only difference between the bigger trucks are the bars arent they?

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

The only difference in how high off the ground the truck sits with weight on it is the torsion bars.

BUT the whole drivetrain is lighter duty. The hub bearing design is completely different. The axles are lighter duty.

I have a 7'6" V on a half ton. I put Timbrens on first, and honestly they were a waste of money. So I put 3/4 torsion bars on. There are a lot different ratings for "3/4 ton" bars out there. I forget which ones I put on where, I think it was GL maybe?

Anyways, the bars made all the difference and it carries the little 7'6'' good now. I dont think I would put a 9'2'' poly on it though! I have replaced both axle shafts, and both wheel bearings, allready in just 2 seasons of plowing with it.

3. 09dieselguy

To be completely honest im not to worried about tearing through a bearing in a year. The truck will stay on siteand maybe be used for a few drive ways. If I throw a set of 3/4 ton half shafts and wheelbearings with rotors and torsion bars I think it will stand a much better chance and I will drop a rear end into it to match. I don't see any reason why it cannt or wont work unless im missing something he completely obvious. Safety is my number one concern. I don't wanna put anyone in a bad spot here or injury someone.I have the truck sitting and a spair plow so spending a few dollars will put my way ahead of buying a new truck.

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I have no idea if the 3/4 ton axles will work in the front end or not. its a easy bolt in for the rear one tho.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They will not, nor will any other drive component in the front, same basic design but two completely different platforms.

6. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks B&B

7. 09dieselguy

thats the info i was looking for. i think i have to figure out a way now.