1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 Chevy 1500 dies when I shift to drive??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turboplow3, Dec 13, 2010.

1. turboplow3

turboplow3 Junior Member

My 96 Chevy 1500 v8 dies when I shift it from park into drive. It only happens when it has been idiling in park for say 5-10 min. Never happens when driving. If i give it a few good revs it wont die when I shift out of park or if i ride the gas right when shifting it seems to solve the problem. But, if I give an easy rev, just taping the accelerator, then it dies instantly.

I noticed if I let the truck sit for a day or two w/out running it needs a jump. My battery charger says the battery is good and it is never below 70% unless I let the truck sit for a few days. Got a solar charger on the way to help with this.

I am wondering if there is a stray ground on the plow? my hinker 8ft plow seems to suck some juice. When i use the hydraulics on the plow the lights dim like crazy. but it seems the extra, off road, lights i installed don't dim.????
  2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

When it dies it kinda sounds like you have a vaccum leak and it is just slowly leaking out. With the plow you might want to see how many amps the plow motor is pulling. It may be pulling too many amps and draining the battery. You might want to try a battery shut off switch and just turn it off when u stop plowing for the day.
  3. turboplow3

turboplow3 Junior Member

Okay thanks Ill check how much power theplow is pulling. Yeah a vacuum problem sounds like a good start.

Doesnt the motor have to unlock something with the vacuum to shift from park to drive in an automatic. And isnt the 4wheel drive engaged through a vacuum lock?
  4. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

On a 96 I believe everything is done electically. Could be a leak at the brake booster or a bad gasket in the intake. While it's running spray a little carb cleaner on the hoses and gaskets. If it dies out you probably found the problem.
  5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Is the plow controller hooked to a switched 12 volt source? If its direct to always on power it will drain the battery.
    Does this truck have a overdrive auto trans? Lockup converter may be causing the die at idle.