1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 bronco

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by railreferman, Feb 1, 2009.

1. railreferman

railreferman Junior Member

what would be a good plow for a 96 bronco (fullsize) plowing about 7 - 10 driveways with in a 10 mile radius any suggestions on type of plow or suspension?

2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

What makes are readily available in your area? In my area the most popular would be a Meyer ST-7.5 but most of the manufactures will have a mid weight 7.5' plow that is similar. I'd stay away from the real heavy weight commercial plows and also the real light weight plows.

3. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I agree with going with a plow that has a dealer in your area. You don't want to have to drive for two hours each way to the dealer everytime you need a relay, pin, hose or what not.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

5. railreferman

excellant info

The spring idea will be definitly used. I have western meyer blizzard boss and snoway in my area. I currently have a meyer on my 84 bronco and like it ok for what i do with it but it seems slow,and besides I came across a deal I could not refuse on this bronco (96) and am going to make a nice plow rig out of it but not really being a plow fanatic and seem to be getting overwhelmd with info would like some prefances on plows I can get a western put on for about 5k a meyer on for 5500 and a snow way for about 5200 frikken plows are way over priced in my opinion, but just would like some pro's and cons on either of them what to stay away from and some things to consider and what do some of you guy's or gal's pay for plow down there I am in wasilla alaska. thanks for your input ( sorry for any spelling errors can't find spell check)

6. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

If your not in a big rush for the plow, you will most likely get a better deal on one after plowing season is over.

7. railreferman

yea that's what i thought but i'm finding up here it does not make a difference what time of year it is for a new one and real hesitant on buying a used one. I am not sure but is there a stamp or some way to tell the weight of a plow when they are off the truck would hate to buy an over sized used plow, but I am not in any kind of hurry the one I have now works great.

8. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

If you find a plow that you like, say for instance a western, go to their website and there is a link to find out which plows will be compatable with your vehicle. Or what I like to do is call a dealer and make a salesman do the work for you. What I would probably do is find some people with plows in your area and ask them if you can try their plow out, don't ask if you can take it home to do your drive because they will be less likely to want to let you try it out. But try some plows out and when you find one that you like, keep an eye out for a used one so you can get it at a better price. Once you find a plow you like you can always call the the dealer of that brand and ask them if the plow will work with the vehicle that you intend to install it on. And just because it comes off of a different model truck doesn't mean you can't get the correct used mount for your vehicle. If your not in a big hurry to get this vehicle operational, you will have time to search for the deals. My guess would be in the spring after the snow has ended for the season. Some people would rather sell their plow than to keep moving it or looking at it all summer. And as far as your Meyer being slow, I'd check to see if it has a filter or screen in the pump housing. If it does, it is most likely getting clogged. Clean it out and change the oil, that worked for me with an old western plow that I had years back.

9. railreferman

all great points I'll check that screen this weekend does a guy flush it with kerosene or what

10. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I don't know as it matters as long as all of your "parts cleaner" residue is gone before you seal it back up and refill with your hydraulic fluid. I believe I just used carb cleaner. I pulled the plug out of the bottom of the case, I already had the pump out, and sprayed around inside with carb/parts cleaner. As I was spraying, I would try to direct all of the crud to the bottom where the drain hole was. Gave it a couple of minutes to allow the carb cleaner to evaporate, and then reassembled the unit. If you have a metal screen you can try to spray that out too, but I would try to spray it from the inside out. Thus having better luck removing larger deposits that have not been able to make it through the screen, yet not lodging them into the screen by trying to force them through.