1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

96 7.3 no start/ extended crank

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 09Daxman, Jan 12, 2013.

1. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Hey there everyone. A fellow dmax guy needs help with my buddies 7.3. He just got the truck about a month ago and about a week ago it got super cold, highs where no higher then 7, anyway my friend called me up saying that he cant get his truck started all it does is crank, I told him the fuel probably is gelled up and needs to get it inside a garage. I was gone for a week down in mexico and when I got back he said he got it in a garage with a heater and the temp the last couple of days have but 32 and higher and that it still wouldnt start for him. Now I know very little about 7.3s but I from what I know the HPOP res has to be full before it will start, so I checked that res and it was empty. Now the truck has been sitting for about 2 weeks now. Is that normal to be empty after sitting for 2 weeks? I filled it up with some oil. I took the fuel filter cap off to see if there was any fuel in the bowl at that time and there wasnt anything in the bowl, so I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and put the fuel filter cap back on and told him to crank. He started cranking and the fuel pressure gauge was slowly going up, after about 10 secs I hit the purge to get the air out of the gauge line(I forgot to do that when he first started to crank) then the gauge started to read about 50psi and then she started. The fuel gauge filkers from about 55psi down to 35 psi, but thats how mechanical pumps work right? Anyway I took the gauge off and took it for a drive around the block to see if there is any driveablility issues, and it drove fine, didnt seem like it was lacking power or any studdering or anything like that so. I went back to his place shut the truck off and then didnt know what to think. After about 5 min of sitting I wanted to see if it would start again. Cranked it for about 10 sec stopped and then cranked for another 5 secs and she popped off. It was getting late so I told him I had to go home so I wasnt dead for work. So I was wondering if you guys think there is some sort of fuel problem here or if there is something wrong with the HPOP res draining downt like that or what your thoughts where. Like I said my friend bought it about a month ago, he said the glow plugs are newer but I dont know how much truth there is to that but im lost and confused. Thank you for your help!

Jeff

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I can't tell you what exactly is wrong, but I can tell you we had that happen with one of our 250s of the same body style. We just ran it, and didn't really worry about it. Seems to work just fine. If I remember right it's got around 250k on it too.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

A 7.3 PSD has an electric fuel pump. If the filter housing is empty then either a check cable is bad or there is a leak somewhere. Doesn't matter how much oil pressure you have if there is no fuel to fire then it wont start.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

theres a return spring on the side of the fuel bowl. they have been known to go bad, internally. if it looses all its fuel in 5 mins,,,something is deff wrong.

5. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

I thought the 99+ PSD had an electric fuel pump and the pre 99 had mechanical pumps?

Anyway ever sense I got it running and drove it a couple if times it's been starting fine and running like a champ. I don't get it. Haha ohh well.