1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Z71 1/2ton excab

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JoePlowsSnow, Nov 8, 2008.

1. JoePlowsSnow

JoePlowsSnow Junior Member
    from 49621

I want to remove the IFS from the 1995 Silverado Z71 and replace it with solid front axle. Can anyone recommend how to beef up this half ton? and is it something I can get from a junkyard?
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

solid axle conversions are pretty common. You can get a kit online. you get an axle from a junk yard or donor truck. You'l need a NP208 t-case also if you use an axle originally intended for a 70-80's gm because the differential is offset to the opposite side. It will bolt right up to your trans.

I think 4wheelparts.com has the conversion kit... if not just google chevy solid front axle conversion and you should get more then enough info.
  3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I strongly disagree with the np-208 transfer case swap. The case you have now is a much better product and works great with a Ford front axle. The offroader guys will try to tell you that a Dana 60 is the only way to go, but Ford ran Dana 44 front axles in 3/4 ton trucks for years. As long as you aren't going rock crawling with huge tires a high pinion Dana 44 axle out of a Ford is a fairly easy swap. Cutting, grinding, shaping, welding, bending, and parts scrounging are all required skills. If you have thick skin and don't mind good natured name calling, you can pull a ton of good tech info from www.pirate4x4.com/forum. I expect that a well-equiped welding shop could do the job for you in 2-3 days. Doing it yourself in your garage will be at least a week and probably two.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Check out fullsizechevy.com. The offroad section over there has tons of info about it along with several members who have done the swap.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I was just reccomending one way of doing it. Yes if you can find a high pinion axle on the correct side for your t-case I would go that route also. Hi pinion is awesome for the decreased shaft angles and increased ground clearance.
  6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

www.offroadunlimited.com is where I bought mine. It was not hard to do the install. Harder to clean out the IFS anmd all the brackets.
    www.offroaddesign has the steering system you will need.
    Keep your t case and get the 44 or the 60.