1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$95 too much for a driveway in Northern, NJ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Mar 17, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I just finished plowing my route for the final push (plowed them all 3-4 times), we ended up getting around 10" of snow/sleet (really heavy!). Anyway, as I was going through my billings, I noticed that I had one driveway at $95 total from today and yesterdays plowings. Did I overcharge? Keep in mind I live in an area with $1.5-3.5 million dollar houses everywhere. I'm in Northeastern, NJ. What do you charge to push sleet off a driveway about 90' long by 20' (avg) wide, including shoveing off front walk and steps?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if u did it 3 times and shovel there ur good. these people can afford it.

3. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

Most of my accounts paid $165 for this storm, 55 per 3" includes a good amount of shoveling.

If they don't want to do it, its worth it for them...your well within the limits because im sure they would pay more just to not have to touch a shovel!!!

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I think you are fine!

are you using your truck to tow the quad around with now?

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

The way we busted our a** this storm....i think thats a fine price.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks, the price seemed high to me at first but- this stuff was heavy and did take a long time to get cleared out!

I was using the truck to move the quad to a few jobs out of my neighborhood (people called my to plow them out, non-regular clients)- I'm LOVING my truck already!wesport

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It sure was heavy! My quad pushed it well though- no problems knock on wood!

What are you guys charging for your drives from this storm vs. a regular all snow event (2-3x the cost?)?

8. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

:cry:
    Matt,

I am charging 2 times the normal going rate as we had anywhere from 8.0" - 9.7"

...BERGEN COUNTY...
    RIDGEWOOD 9.3 1100 AM 3/17 SKYWARN SPOTTER
    OAKLAND 9.0 1200 AM 3/17 PUBLIC
    RAMSEY 8.0 1000 PM 3/16 SKYWARN SPOTTER

...ROCKLAND COUNTY...
    NEW CITY 9.7 920 PM 3/16 PUBLIC
    STONY POINT 9.1 730 AM 3/17 SKYWARN SPOTTER
    SPARKILL 8.9 252 PM 3/17 SKYWARN SPOTTER

My contracts are 2-6", 6-12" and 12+" So if we could have squeezed like 3 more inches out of this storm I would be a lot happier right now. Despite having a truck go down at 8:30pm last night we did pretty well. Too bad the auto parts stores down know SH!T about parts, I was given the wrong U-joints so at 9:30 two trucks had to make up some slack.

Today on the other hand was just MISERABLE:realmad:
    I have come to the conclusion that I HATE SLEET....
    Could not scrape for the life of me so when the sun came out 4 hours later and started to melt the ice I started to have a better day and we were able to scrape down to bare pavement.

How did you make out?

That by any chance was not you waving to me at exxon last night by the ambulance was it? and then again by Demarest Farm in Hillsdale?
    If so :waving:

Jason

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Jason-

Was it the exxon station on Rt. 17? I was at the call on 17 yesterday with the USR Ambulance Corps (I'm a member and EMT on the Corps).

Would you have charged a similar price for the work I described in my first post?

I plowed all my drives last night until around 11PM, then went to sleep and plowed them and shoveled the walks again from 5AM to around 1PM- this stuff was HEAVY!- The quad handled it fine though! I got all of my drives down to pavement- took a little while though! This sleet was like pushing sand, it weighed a ton adn wouldn't stack at all! Oh well, the storm paid well!payup

Other than your truck break down, did everything go well for you?

-Matt

10. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Matt,

It was the Exxon in Montvale across from Dairy Queen, I figured it was either you or Alex K as I don't know any EMT's from Jersey all the guys I know are from Willam P. Feist on Schoolhouse road because they are right down the street from my Firehouse.

Anyway We plowed from around 2pm Friday until about 10pm, and then again from about 3am until around 3pm Saturday. All went well other than being short one truck, but it is fixed and ready to go again.

As far as charging what you did I guess that if you went 3-4 times than your prices are more than fair. In SR and USR my driveways average between $45.00 for a small one and about $85.00 for a decent sized driveway so according to my pricing structure we will use the $45.00 driveway for example this is what I charge

2"- 6" = $45.00
    6"- 12" = $90.00
    12"+ = 180.00

For seasonal I would round it up to $50.00 and the seasonal price would be $500.00
    Hope this helps.

Jason

11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I guess I just don't understand how you guys can get those prices and people pay them. There is no way people hear will pay that. I have custemers sign contracts and still ***** and complane about me coming 2-3 times a day when they say were not home all day so just do it in the mornings and evenings before we get home. even though the contract states every 3".

12. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

You have got to remember that their will never be a shortage of stupid people.

13. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

You'll love it even better when you put a plow on that truck and you can sit back and in a warm truck cab and push snow.

14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Jason-

It wasn't me than that was waving at you, though I was at a call on Friday night near an exxon station, kind of ironic.. It was probably Alex K since it was in Montvale (tri-boro ambulance).

Okay, so for this storm (ice/sleet) for a smaller driveway you were charging $90 (average, sionce we got around 9-10")- does your price include shoveling walks and steps? Would you say that the job I listed and the price I charged were fair (on mark with what you would charge)?

Thanks,
    Matt

15. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I charge by the inch. For a driveway that long, I"d probably charge around $8 - $10 an inch, depending on difficulty (curves, slope, drop off, tight spots, easy place to push the pile, etc). It doesn't matter if I come once or 4x, they pay by the inch. So sounds like you're in the same ball park as me.

16. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

Yes you can.My minimum is $75 and i'll do it once at the end of a storm unless there calling for over a foot, then ill go twice.Jersey is a money pit,dont cut yourself short.The way I look at it is,I'm on call for there convienance all winter.I can't take a vacation,cant get a job over the winter and have alot of money invested in my truck,blowers and insurance.Plus a storm like this screws me up for a couple days(sleep,routine,etc).Dont feel guilty about billing an amount that will cover your expenses and put some nice coin in your pocket.Remember, if your making only good money,The first break down or damage to property will turn it into below average money quick.Just my experience, 5-6 years ago I would charge $45 for a driveway, then I started banging people for alot more and met no resistence.Now its not uncommon to get $150-$200 a driveway for storms over 12".Sorry for the rant,just my experience.

17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So you'd say that my $95 charge is fair right?

18. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

Absolutely!!

19. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Matt,

I would say that for what you described you are right on with price. anywhere from $90.00 to $120.00 is fair for what you did.
    My prices do not include sidewalks, I charge extra for shoveling and most people opt not to have us perform this service. Most of the walks that I do I charge an extra $10.00 - $20.00. So the $90.00 driveway would now be around $110.00.

Hope this helps a little.

Jason

20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks, that clears the pricing up for me, I appreciate it! It seemed like a lot to charge, but when I am breaking it down, it seems right on.