1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Ram 1500 front axle shaft (drivers) needed!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by eskimoplower, Feb 4, 2011.

1. eskimoplower

eskimoplower Junior Member

While cleaning up after the recent snow/ice/snow storm, we broke the u-joint on the driver's side axle shaft. Closest place that has parts we need, both inner and outer shafts and u-joint, is in Rhode Island and needed faster!! Anyone know in western mass or southern NH that would have the parts we need? Thanks for any tips!!

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Check the dealer, or you can contact Warn, Superior axle or Yukon axle to see what they have in stock. These axles may be more money but they will be chromoly, i do know Warn's are warrantied for life.
  3. eskimoplower

eskimoplower Junior Member

Found a used one

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I found one at a junk yard in Mass and hope to get it in by this afternoon. I'm betting once the truck is fixed, we won't get any snow today.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

very common on a Dodge to break the out axle shaft
    most salvage yards have them in stock
  5. dirtyscag

dirtyscag Senior Member

Try a junk yard i got mine for 40$
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Another source for parts is a medium to heavy truck parts dealer. They may carry the full catalog for Danna and Spicer. I call mine and they have the parts for about 2/3's of what a dealer would charge.
  7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

If your going to keep running that truck upgrading the axles to chromolies may be a wise investment. Life time warranty and even if you break a u-joint you can usually hammer the ears back to shape and put another joint in. The ears on stock shafts will shear right off when a u-joint breaks or a cap falls off. Chromolies are also machined for full circle snap rings too, biggest problem with u-joints is the caps coming out after the clip snaps off under stress.