1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 GMC lift

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 90plow, Mar 9, 2002.

WHat should I do I have a 95 Gmc short bed reg. cab

1. Put on the kit from super lift and install myself

4 vote(s)
  2. just turn up the torion bars without the kit

0 vote(s)
  3. buy the kit and pay to be installed

3 vote(s)
  4. dont bother not a good idea for the truck

1 vote(s)
  1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I want to lift my 95 gmc 1500 short bed reg. cab. I was wondering if there was away that is simplwe and cheap. I went on the super lift site http://www.superlift.com/chevy2.htm and i found this thing that allows oyu to just turn up the torsion bars , but They say to put on there kit on to eliminate premature wear its the upper control arms and some brackets for the front dirve shaft. I was also wondering what the upper control arms were do they require taking the whole front end apart ?? Sorry for all the questions and has anyone ever done this or doesa any one know how much this costs. I want to thank you in advance for the help

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

That's not very much lift, but is pretty economical, and would make the truck look good I think. If you're going to lift it, get the kit to keep the angles right. The suspension on your truck consists of upper and lower control arms on each side. They are shaped sort of like triangles and move together to let the suspension travel up and down. Sorry I can't explain this any better, but the best way to figure it out is to crawl under the truck and look at it for a while. I'd get a price quoted for the work, and then ask yourself how comfortable you are after looking at the instructions. Also just ask superlift and I bet they would give you an answer. Good luck.

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I have a couple more questions for you guys. Do I have to take apart the whole front end to put the new control arms on or can i just jack it up take off the wheels take the old ones off and pop the new ones on? My other question is do you know how i could contact superlift by phone a 1-800# or something or an e-mail address of someone in the company?
  4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

1.800.551.4955 is their #. I've never worked a chevy IFS but call them and see what they say.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Eric, call Meadowlands 4wd and see what kind of a price they can give you on a lift, installed.

With the kit you are talking about, the truck will need to be aligned after the lift. Lifting an IFS is not really a novice job.

The easiest way to get 2 or 3" of lift is by installing a body lift IMO. Much cheaper, and easier to install. In fact, get a price on a body lift from Meadowlands 4wd too.

946 Paterson Avenue
    East Rutherford, New Jersey 07073

Store Hours
    Monday - Friday, 8:00 to 6:00
    Thursday, 8:00 to 9:00

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Upper control arms

What are the upper control arms, are they the top a arms? Are these hard to remove and replace The kit I want to buy only requires new UPPER control arms, lowering brackets for the front differential and lift blocks or add a leafs for the rear. Does anyone know how much something like this might cost me? Is this a hard job? It doesn't seem to complicated or should I bring it to someone who knows how to install them? The person does mechanic work on the side and installs lifts and such. I want to do this as cheap as possible and make it work correctly. I had thought about a body lift but they look too goofy. and they just make the truck sit weird. And as far as where to buy it I think I would go to Grizzly and get a quote then see if anyone will beat there price that shouldn't be too hard since Grizzly is so expensive haha. I also have a friend that works at mothers that told me he could get me a deal so I will check out the dealer you told me about though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2002
  7. blzn74

blzn74 Member