1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 GMC 1500. new guy here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chevguy6809, Oct 4, 2014.

1. chevguy6809

chevguy6809 Junior Member

Hey all, new guy from WI here just starting to get into plowing for myself. Run a few Westerns and Boss for a couple companies in the past and am thinking of going into business for myself.

Bought a 95 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB for a steal minus a little steering work. My boss had an older 7'6" Western Pro Ultramount? (4 trip springs, 1 shock) off his powerstroke that he said I could have. Hoping its not to much for the ol' half ton.
    I have a couple concerns as far as wiring goes though if somebody could give me a some advice.

I looked on westerns quikmatch, for the hb3-hb4 lights it says isolation module setup, but I dont have the money to spend on all that wiring right now. I found a guy who says he installs them for a living, and could use part of the powerstroke relay harness and put in the gm headlight adapter harness and run that? Any help is appreciated guys!

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Welcome, You will need a new truck side mount kit. A ford mount will not fit a gm. As for the wiring I think you need the whole harness as well.

3. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First. What plow do you have. Ultramount, or unimount? Then we can tell you the wiring you need

5. chevguy6809

I have an ultramount, already installed the mount myself figured i could do the wiring too.

6. dieselss

Ok, then only a few pieces of wiring will fit. You need the gm, green module, and headlight wiring

7. chevguy6809

green module? i used a relay system (and will probably regret it im sure)

8. chevguy6809

PN 61515. it was used but guy said it worked from his truck and was only $80....got it all wired in and the lights on the plow are VERY dim, seem to pull a ton of juice off an almost new alternator and battery and for some reason the directionals act as hazard lights at times....did i kick myself in the nuts but trying to do this on a budget?

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Do you have the ground going to batt ? If not, put it on. that will help with the dim lights / and will draw less amps. . All tho those older western do draw a lot of amps and you might need a bigger alt. my 97 gmc w a 105 amp alt did not like my western

10. dieselss

What lights do you have?

11. chevguy6809

on the plow? just the ones that came with it i believe. (rectangle shape) no the new style ones. I was thinking about putting on 2 led bars next to the existing lights on the plow, running them to a switch in the cab (less power, brighter, better field of view) any thoughts? they draw so little i figured just a bullet connector or a spade connector tied up with one of the plow plugs.

12. dieselss

Ck the connectors inside the lights, they tend to get rusty. Also the small wire on the pump, they also corrode inside the ring terminal.
    Also sounds like the gnd is bad the more I'm thinking

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014