1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Ford PSD problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Wesley's Lawn, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Does anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong with this? Shuts off just like if the key was turned off, if you try to start it with out turning the key off it wont start, but if you turn the key off and let the glow plugs run again it starts right up. Wehn you see the mileage, add another 100k, thing never went to 4 lol. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have drove PSD since they came out I would bet It's your Cam sensor dieing. It will only get worse. They will get to the point where you can't do 25MPH down the road.
    It's like $75 - 100 for the part depends an where you buy it. Two bolts hold it on.
    There are diesel forums on the INTERNET that can help you better. Search diesel repair and they should be able to help you better.
    The guys here should soon post too.

3. RickyGasser

RickyGasser Member

GET A NEW Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) NOW. If you're not in a hurry, check e-bay for really good prices. I think '94 to '96 is different from '97 and up so check it out. I have changed them on all the PSD that I have come into contact with. The condition will get worse, like stalling going down the road. Change it out (only 1 bolt, 10 mm). It is located under the crank pulley on the underside of the motor. For a detailed description, check out http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_import/pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/index3.html and scroll about half way down until you see CPS Problem. It's a very common problem. If you need more help check out www.thedieselstop.com. Great site for all ford diesels.

4. Wesley's Lawn

Condition will get worse? I dont know if I explained it good enough, but thing wont stay running for more then one min. You cant really even drive it anywhere with it like that. After looking the CPS was replaced not too long ago.

5. MickiRig1

Well then that's a lot deeper of a problem. No doubt go to- http://www.thedieselstop.com/
    Could be a filter,pump,computer, sensor, oil pressure. The last diesel I owned was not an electronic controlled engine. -- VW Golf

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Try changing the CPS again just for good luck. they can go bad even if it is new. Next up "thedieselstop.com" 94-97 powerstroke section. those guys will give you all kinds of help.

7. MickiRig1

A counter guy at a parts store once told me 1 in 10,000 parts is bad right out of the box.
    If you change it and it's not the problem, at least you know that part is new. Save the old one in a baggie with a label. Now if the new one pops you have an extra one to save you at 3 am. I do it all the time and It's saved me from sitting at home and watching it snow hard.

8. Wesley's Lawn

It was the back pressure sensor if anyone was wondering. :rolleyes: