1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 Ford F350 4WD Low need advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jordydme, Feb 12, 2007.

1. jordydme

jordydme Junior Member
    from NY

He guys,

I have a 95 F350 with an auto trans. Recently I have not been able to get it into low 4wd. I am able to go in and out of 2wd and 4wd HI, no problem. I am not able to get the gear selector to push down to get it into 4wd low. I have tried putttin it in neutral and letting it roll a bit. I have tried to put it in gear with engine off but no luck. It used to work just fine but all of a sudden it won't push down. You guys know what I mean, you know, the spring loaded mechanism that you usually feel when you push the shifter towards the ground. It's like that mechanism is not there. No spring loaded sensation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    J

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

go underneath and spray with rust penetrant ,if that doesent work you may have to replace the linkage(ford has them still)

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty common on the older Ford's. Either the spring mechanism break's due to age or rusts up solid from lack of use. Like diesel said try lubing it up real good and working the shifter.If it doesn't look rusty then the spring or pin is broken and you'll need to replace the shifter assembly.Be sure to check the fluid level in the T-case too.If you run those Borg Warner T-cases low on fluid they'll chew up the low range fork in no time.

4. jordydme

jordydme Junior Member
    from NY

low gear

Thanks for the reply guys. Is this an easy fix if it turns out there needs to be a part replaced. I have some snow coming tonight and was wondering if this was some thing I could easily replace by myself?

5. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

This is very common in these year trucks 92- 98.. It is a easy fix take the shifter off take it apart clean and grease. If not I think I remember paying $125 for the new shifter, When they get stiff people try to force them and the alum part of it breaks ..

6. jordydme

jordydme Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks for advice, too freakin cold out there today. My wife talked me into taking it in to the dealer. Tehy were gracious enough to fit me in today. Hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg. I will let you know how it pans out.

7. jordydme

jordydme Junior Member
    from NY

ouch!

Well $400 later and it's fixed. They replaced the parts that were rusted solid and on their way out. I can't decide if the truck is making me money or I am making money for the truck :confused:

8. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Some days you eat the bear----- Some days the bear eats you:D :D :D

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LOL!.....unless your packin' heat! :gunsfiring: