1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 F350 dump

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ChevKid03, Jan 7, 2010.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I just took a look at a 95 F350 dump with the 7.3 turbo diesel and made an offer... I am pretty sure I am going to be picking it up tomorrow at 10 a.m... I wanted to see what the big things were that I should watch out for with these trucks... it does have a plow on it and the front end felt a little loose but i'm not too concernced with that... the drivers floor and drivers rocker need some work but all in all the truck ran and drove well. 6 newer tires and comes with a older speedcast... dump body has no rot just some surface rust behind the cab.... Again, I'm just looking for some things that need to be looked into on these trucks. Thanks.

Todd

2. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Sounds like around a 5k truck if so your doing ok. Oil pan see if its got alot of rust $1800 to replace. Front end has how much play? How does the tranny shift? Those e40s are good for about 60k-100k and are about $2200 for a HD rebuilt. Old Fisher hydro is it really slllllllow? if so I believe you can get a new pump in the $400 dollar range. The 7.3 is a great motor and will way outlive the truck if it has been somewhat treated well. How are the brakes? Ford calipers suck. Does the truck pull to one side? A 4 wheel brake job on that truck will cost a pretty penny. How rusty is the frame? Look at all the spring shackles.

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I will pop under the truck in the a.m. to look at the oil pan.... The truck didn't appear to have any leaks but then again it was getting dark... I will pop over there in the morning. The brakes felt good and it didn't pull one way or the other, just had sloppy left to right like it was floating... The "change fuel filter" light was on and it seemed to jerk and buck a bit when in overdrive but I'm hoping the fuel filter change will help that.... I know that in my truck (duramax) a dirty fuel filter will cause many "tranny" like symptoms...

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Post some pics too

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

radiator supports rot, take the oil fill cap off the valvecover and see if it has access blowby when runnin of coarse. check the exaust manifolds good. the oil coolers like to rot out too. if the steering has slope it could be a sterring box, track bar worn or tie rods might need all joints too. :drinkup:

6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

thanks for the info guys... my biggest concern would be how it was driving when in overdrive... am i correct to assume that a dirty fuel filter will cause it to sputter a bit or to "buck"? Lets just say I'm getting the truck for a little less than half the kelly blue book in "good" condition. Grabbed a filter last night and will put it in this morning before i make the purchase...

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

good idea the filter is a piece of cake to change whonder why the seller wouldn't put a new one on for 20 bucks

8. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Be careful sounds like a injector pump to me. If so unless your stealing it i would stay away...

9. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

a tranny flush at the ford dealer will cure some tranny issues. ( dealers use a good full flow unit )

core support, check around the front and back windows for leaks and rust. body mounts rust

brakes... my cost for a complete brake job on my 93 f-250 hd, including drums, rotors, calipers, flex lines ect. was just over $600 canadian.... the brakes on these aren't that expensive

10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

well, bought the truck... oil pan is BRAND NEW... put the fuel filter in and it shifts and runs like a dream.... had a tranny rebuild 2 years ago... all in all, not bad for 3500 bucks... check out the pics in the equipment forum