1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 F350 Diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BSseal, Dec 2, 2001.

1. BSseal

BSseal Junior Member

I asked a question a couple weeks back and got some great info...thanks a lot! Now I am lookin at a 95 F350 4x4 diesel auto 104,000 with a 8' Fisher plow. Can anybody tell me what to look for and what they think a fair price would be? The tranny has just be done over and it will have new front shocks and 4 new tires. I am going to look at it and drive it but want to know more about that truck. What do u guys think? Thanks very much in advance!

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

According to GeoffD, the transmission is supposed to last at least 150,000 miles.

Post cab configuration and options to get some price estimates.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes, if the fluid is changed 2 times a year, and a complete stop is made before going from forward to reverse. However on the Trucks build before the 99 superduties the E 40D trans didn't hold up well to plowing.

I get 150K, 200K, and as high has 225K out of the E 40D. However the key is maintmance, change it 2 times a year of every 20K whatever comes first. That and all my trucks that are not the new superduties, are gas trucks. Much easier on the E -40D.

I could see you paying between 10 and 15K with out knowing anymore than what you have told me about the truck.

Geoff

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Since this truck has 104k on it I would look at the front end carefully ( bring a jack and check the ball joints along with the rods and all the linkage). If you can, try to find out when the tranny was done over (a receipt is a good place to start). Fords tranny rebuilds sometimes fail when contaminant is left over from the previous clutch packs. Ford recomends an inline filter on most rebuilds to catch this. Check the coolant with some test strips from fleetguard to see if he kept up on the FW16 additive. You should also ask if he has ever changed the glowplugs or the relay, this is getting to be near the time when this may have to be done. I would also ask if he does all his own work to the truck or if he takes it to a dealer. The next thing you should check out is www.Ford-Diesel.com you can find out more about ford diesel trucks at this site than any other place on the web. Look at the FAQ section. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  5. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Geoff and JD are right on the money.

Dave

6. mickman

mickman Senior Member

1995 F-350

I bought a 1995 f-350 psd w/ 92k mile in Pa. just replace tranny in fall [jasper ] 1st one failed, 2nd is great. many upgrades including a tranny cooler that was much bigger than fords. i have a meyer 7.5' plow. had to also replace front rotors, all brakes, inner & outter tie rods, etc. cost $ 5400.00 not to mention i had to replace turbo unit, add another $1000.00 +. wondered if i should had bought a new one? but it's pretty much a new beast, and i figure i'm still about $ 10k up in pocket from buying new. i suggest getting some TRUSTY mechanic to look it over, then tell seller to deduct cost to fix, unless getting a good deal.
    i paid 18 k for mine.

7. JD PLOWER

Mickman, most turbos fail from not letting the truck idle after extended periods, especialy after highway use. Since the turbo is oil cooled shutting off the truck when the turbo is hot (sometimes glowing!)will kill a turbo fairly quickly. You are correct when it comes to buying used, check it out as best you, or a mechanic can. The two PSD's that myself and my father own are used and even with the cost of a tranny you will save HUGE over a new truck.

8. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

don't forget to change the fluid in the torque converter to.
    there is a small drain plug on those converters.
    had an e4od...went thru 2 of them ... sold truck at loss and still saved money! LOL anyway as geoff said they did not hold up well to plowing.
    dan

9. newtosnow

newtosnow Junior Member

I have a friend with the same truck, but 5 spd. He has a 9' Fisher, and besides injector pump, etc...he's had great luck with it. Id be leary of the auto. + diesel combo. Doesnt seem like anyone can build one that'll hold up to the torque. I honestly wouldn't pay over 8500 for this truck. They dont seem to stand up to the salt as well as Dodges or Chevys. The brakes (especially e brake) are weakpoints to salt. Good luck with it those International diesels kick butt (7.3L I assume?)

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

One of my friends had a 96 PSD F350 SRW,5 speed,with an 8 ft Fisher,it has only 56K on it,and the tranny is going out now,lots of noise,and growling sounds.This truck was well maintained,and tows 3 days a week 24 ft enclosed,plows in winter too,but he;s had to do rotors,calipers,ball joints,and now trans,its a beatiful truck,sits real high too.The price ona 95 F350 shouldnt be much over 12K with 100K on it,unless its a loaded XLT,exacb or crew cab.I would think10K would buy a nice work truck,that needs about 500 put into it.is this truck a PSD or the 7.3 IDI,I know 95 auto's came both ways in the 95 'auto's built in late 94.

11. JD PLOWER

John I'm not positive on this but I think 94' autos are all I.D.I. with a turbo added and all 94' 5 speeds are psd's. :confused: .

12. John DiMartino

I think your right JD,I know a guy with a 94 PSD 5 speed.

13. JLC

JLC Member

Somebody said the new superduties had the E4OD. I thought Ford had a new one that was introduced in the SD's in 99. I think it is called the 47RH. I'll have to look in my 99 Ford sales brochure to confirm.

14. John DiMartino

JLC, the 47RH is a Dodge tranny,came behind the 94-95 V10,and Cummins diesel trucks.The new SD' have the 4R100,which according to my tranny parts book,is an E4OD,with a few changes,but essentially its a slightly modified E4OD.

15. JD PLOWER

John your right about the tranny being almost identical. From what I've read they are the same (even many aftermarket parts work on both). Ford is finally coming out with an all new tranny in 2003 5R100 5speed to go with the new 6.0 diesel.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2001
  16. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Ford Diesel engines

1994- 7.3 IDI with a turbo
    - late in '94, 7.3 PSD direct injection turbo

late '94- now, PSD