1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 F350 7.3l 4x4 Trans

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jmbones, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

What's the difference between the C6 and E40D automatic trans? How do I tell which I have and which do I want as a replacement?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Should be a E4OD, but the E4OD will have a large harness plugged into it on drivers side of tranny, C6 won't.

3. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

What's the difference? Can either be used?

4. kimber750

E4OD is computer controlled tranny, C6 isn't. Putting C6 in place of E4OD could cause unwanted computer problems since it also controls the engine. You would need some type of tranny computer to replace C6 with E4OD because your vehicle would have no way of telling the E4OD what to do.

5. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Ah, I see. Thanks. I think I need it rebuilt. I haul 3 loads of dirt less than 5 miles from my house and it will barely pull out from a stop sign at a slight grade. Seems like it's not shifting down into 1.

6. kimber750

Most likely stuck valve in valve body. A friends F350 did something similar, but it was trying to start out in 3rd. Was a bit more drivable but putting selector in 2nd to start out then shifting back to drive. Good luck getting a tranny shop to fix just the valve bodies, they normally want to tear tranny out and rebuild the entire unit. But valve bodies are pretty easy to replace on your own.

7. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I don't mind having them rebuild the whole thing, then I know it will be good for a while. Just at what cost the rebuild will be compared to an entire reman unit at about $1400.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the e4od can be built to be bullet proof. it was introduced in the late 1980's, and run through about 1997. ford made improvements to the trans through its production run. the 1995-1997 models are the strongest from the factory, so you are starting with a good base.

do your homework and find someone who knows these transmissions well - don't just bring it down to the local aamco....

9. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Local shop wants 1800 to rebuild, for that price I can get a completely reman'd unit, possibly a stage 1.

10. kimber750

Do both prices include labor?

11. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

The 1800 for the rebuild of my existing trans is me taking it to the trans shop and dropping it off. I got a quote for a reman/rebuilt unit from a place in IL, $1099 plus $200 for converter plus $120 for one way shipping and I need to ship the core back.

12. kimber750

My only issue with a mail order tranny is who do you go to if something does go wrong? Local rebuild at least you have someone to yell at. :gunsfiring:

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Ford offers an HD Reman with upgraded internals and better Torque Converter (Basically a 6.0 Converter which is really good converter from the factory) and it comes with a 3 year/100k warranty from Ford serviceable at any dealer.

Last quote I got was for $2100 from AutoFair Ford in Manchester NH.

By the way the E4OD became the 4R100 which is stronger and is the base for the Ford Reman.

14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

15. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Thanks for the info