1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 f250 too late for plow???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pats plowing, Aug 10, 2002.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I have a 95 f250 extended cab and bed 4*4 auto with a new trans, 165k miles (rebuilt at 110k). It has manual locking hubs and a 460 gasser. Is plowing small drives going to kill this truck??Is it not worth it?? I got ripped off already buying this truck and have $10k invested in it already so another $3k for a plow might not be any good. What do the pros think?
    PS I need a quick response snow plow sales end this month.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

In my opinion if you are going to plow just a few drive ways no proplem but with a 165K and since you got the truck second hand. I would not want to be plowing alot with it unless you have a back up or canget back on a moments notice.Pat where in mass are you from?

3. pats plowing

im in Worcester Mass. I will add a few more plow jobs this yr. I was able to do them all this past season with small snoblowers so if i get in a jam ive got a buddy and i can get help running some snoblowers if need be. I think i may put the plow on this yr and trade in that truck for a newer dump next fall.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you should be fine then.If you have the 8' bed on the back you will find it hard to do small drives especially with snow banks in back of you.If your planing on selling the truck next year i would put a used unit on :Reason being if I was to buy a truck I would not pay much for the truck and pay for just the new plow that was installed on it so before you spend alot on it you may not get your money back.If that is the case you plow all winter for practically nothing.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The tranny in that truck is not the best, I had a '94 F-350 w/460 auto that blew up at 33,000 miles. It cost $2200 5 years ago and the truck was down 2 weeks.

Another problem with that truck is the Twin Traction Beam front axle, they don't behave well while toting a plow. My old '81 F-350 started out with the TTB, but I converted it to the Monobeam front axle after the TTB housing broke for the second time. You will also experience abnormal tire wear on the inside edges of your tires because of the geometry of this axle.

If you get a plow, stick with one of the lighter ones, like Meyers or Western, these won't put as much stress on that axle.

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Ripped off

Pat-

I'd say that the truck you have was worth about $10,000 retail depending on how long ago you bought it. Although I don't claim to be an automotive pricing expert, I think if you go to Kelleybluebook.com, the retail value of that truck is probably about $10K give or take.

I have a 1995 F250 with almost 150,000 miles on it and it is a daily driver and part of our plow fleet. If it was truck the previous owner(s) used for plowing that I bought with 150,000 miles, that might be a different story altogether.

Problems with ttb are HIGHLY overrated from my experience. I have an 8.5 foot Western V plow (a VERY heavy plow) strapped to the front of my f250. No matter what brand plow you have, only drive your trucks with plow on during storms. Otherwise, remove plow because you will put added wear on tires, suspension, etc. I have experienced no abnormal wear associated with the ttb. Also, timbrens will help to prevent the front end from "squatting" as much which changes the angle your tires ride at slightly with the ttb suspension.

I'd buy a plow for that truck and keep it in service for at least three years so you can earn your money back from it. After three years, I'd buy another truck and keep the ford parked as my backup, assuming it has been maintained and is still fairly dependable.

Also, if that truck has the e40OD transmission, it is a pretty heavy duty trans. I am not familiar with the others, but have been told by transmission techs and mechanics that is a good, heavy duty transmission, although it is more expensive to replace than the transmissions that are not electronic overdrive.

If that is electronic od, don't haul or plow without switching the overdrive off or you WILL tear up your tranny in all likelihood.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  7. pats plowing

snojob,
    I was angry when someone told me the truck was worth 6 and i paid $10k but now its ok. I really want to put a plow on for the winter and do some drives or city work. I can make more perhr doing drives around the house but will work less hours so i dont know what im going to do. I plan to keep the truck for 2 years or until i can afford a diesel either f350 orf450 dump it depends on where my biz goes. I am leaning towards an 8ft fisher straight for $3600 thanks for the advice guys.

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Pat, I also lean towards a used plow. They are not hard to install, maybe eight hours of your time and there is tons in the Want Ad. Anywhere from a 1k to 2k for that truck. also, if you do go to a Fisher you will need a backdragger they are the worst for backdragging. I know a welder here in Framingham, if you need. If you get a Curtis, you will not need one cause they backdragger much better. Good luck

9. pats plowing

Slplow,
    I havent fully decided yet. I just found a western dealer who wants $2800 installed for an 8ft blade. I am deciding between the three. Does the western price seem right? He said it was quick mount unit. Did he mean the ultramount or some other hookup? Im still new to this so im looking for input.
    Also does anyone have an idea on how much extra insurance i need for plowing drives. Ball park price??
    thanks guys

10. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Pat,
    Sound like the dealer might be talking about the uni-mount. Its ok hooking up but the ultra-mount is what you wan but if the price is right and you don't mind struggling while mounting, go with the uni-mount.

AS far as insurance goes...if you are doing just driveways you might be about to get 100K coverage for a few hundred dollars or just get a rider for you existing policy. Shop around.

John