1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

95 F-Superduty Plow size

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel_brad, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

I am looking to put a plow on my 95 F-superduty(F450) this season.

What are your suggestions on a width of a plow to cover the width of the truck when angled?
    I was thinking a 8.5' but not sure if that will be wide enough. My biggest concern is getting too wide of a plow and not fitting places. I mostly do driveways

Also, I want a ultra mount. What isolation module would work for my truck. I already have the truck side mount

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

well if the drive isn't wider than your truck your not going to be able to plow it...

you need a plow that as you say wide enough to clear a path for the truck.

so a 9.Xft minimum or a 10ft plow.

if width is a issue for residential drives maybe a jeep is a better choice for a plow rig than a f450

shawn_ likes this.
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If driveways were my primary jobs. That truck would not be my first choice. Without the wheel base, I'd guess a 9 ft.

shawn_ likes this.
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

i believe it's fender to fender.95.5" = 7' 11.5"

5. Diesel_brad

I will be using the truck in question because that is what I have

6. Randall Ave

What kind of body on it, short bed, or long bed? You do not want to be constantly driving in the snow rows as your plowing.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

So, it's a single rear wheel right? You should be able to use a 7-1/2' if you don't want to be any wider than you have to be. When I punch it in Quickmatch (1995, FORD, F-SUPERDUTY, 4x2 drive train, 10000 minimum GVWR, and HB5 headlamp type), it comes up with 7-1/2' Midweight, and clear up to a Wideout, and everything in between.
    They wouldn't recommend 7.5 if it wouldn't clear the tires.

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

7.5 is to narrow the snow will spill back under his wheels.
    Get wings or a 8.5 foot plow.

This is not just a off the cuff reply but experience talking.

9. Randall Ave

I've never seen a F450 with single rear wheels. But ya never know.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yea, a 9ft plow would be a better choice than the 8ft.

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

remember this is 1995 he's talking about... not the 99+ Super Duty's that you are probably thinking of. The only thing that comes up in quickmatch is this:

Attached Files:

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

image.jpg 1995 f450

To bridge the gap between the pickup line and the much larger medium-duty F-650/F-750, Ford introduced the F-450 and F-550 variants of the Super Duty; with an available GVWR from 17,950-19,500 lbs, it pushes the Super Duty into the Class 5 truck market. Available only as a chassis cab for commercial upfitters, both versions were fitted with dual rear wheels.

95" divided by 12 = 7'9"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

thanks, that's cool. DieselBrad, is your truck a dually? If so you'd need at least and 8-1/2' blade.

14. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

F450, as he says in his first post, has to be a dually...it would be pointless as a SRW.

If your drives are too tight for a big plow it's going to be hell in that truck anyway and your plow size probably won't be the issue. I'd get the bigger plow and maybe you can pick up some commercial and eventually get a smaller truck for your residentials. Believe me, I understand having to use what you have. Just know it's not the best tool for the job.

What happened to the smaller truck in your picture?

15. Diesel_brad

The ranger will loose the plow this fall due to it getting a 4 cyl cummins engine.

the F-superduty is a Dually, 161" WB, I pack tool box and a 8' flatbed.

I would love to find a 8.5' prow pow and get some easily removable wings

JMHConstruction likes this.